Jet pump problem

Users who are viewing this thread

ctkeebler

Reaction score
About 2 years ago on Christmas eve my shallow well jet pump burned out. I had no water and the only place open was Home depot and I purchased a flowtec pump becasue I needed water over the holidays.

In the past few days I have noticed that the pump seems to run longer than normal and if you watch the gauge the gauge quivers at the cut off around 42 or so, but does not always turn off. If I shake the pump gently the pump will turn off, almost like I make it reach that last psi it need on the gauge to shut off.

I know the bladder tank is old 12 years I replaced it when I moved in to the house as the old one leaked a day or two after I signed the contract. So much for the home inspection.

My question is is the pressure gauge faulty or does the tank have a leak. I have been reading that the tanks don't last long and I might be on borrowed time for the tank as it is.

Tonight my wife though it sounded like there was air in the faucet for the bathroom, but she has not heard the air in any of the other faucets.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Tom

R

Rancher

My question is is the pressure gauge faulty or does the tank have a leak. I have been reading that the tanks don't last long and I might be on borrowed time for the tank as it is.
The pressure gauge has nothing to do with the pump turning off, you also have a pressure switch on that pump, but that is also probably not the problem, sorry to say this but your pump can no longer make enough pressure to turn off the switch, buy a new pump or lower the pressure on the switch.

Rancher

ctkeebler

Reaction score
Thanks Ill try lowering the pressure as a band aid and then get a pump. Is there a link for speed bump or is that against the forum rules?

R

Rancher

So lets finish this question, does your pressure decrease without any water usage when the pump does turn off, if so there could be a leak.

Rancher

ctkeebler

Reaction score
I guess I should also purchase and install a new bladder tank as that is 12 years old and when I installed it it was only me and my wife. Now I have two girls and I would image the tank is too small and the draw down is too little. I'm at work now and not sure what size I have but is there any recommendation on a size to get? Does the jet pump horsepower size also depend on the size of the tank

Thanks

ctkeebler

Reaction score
Rancher no I don't believe so the pumps only turns on when we use water, but Ill listen over the next day to make sure. Some times it turns off all by it self, but if it seems like its running too long I go in the basement and shake it and it turns off. Even if it runs long its never hot.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Chances are your water level has dropped a few feet and the pump can't make the pressure it could with a higher water level. This is normal for all pumps, however a good pump would make more pressure than the HD variety.

bob...

ctkeebler

Reaction score
I had a plumber from a pump and well service center look at the pump. He checked the tube that activates the switch, the switch is working fine and when he tested the system the foot value is also working as there was no drop in pressure when the power was turned off.

Appears that the cheap Flotec from HD, just cant make up enough pressure. He suggested that I purchase a new pump and since the bladder tank is 10-12 years old it would make sense to replace that now as well to avoid future problems.

He suggested a Goulds J5s 1/2 horse power shallow well pump and xtrol 203 bladder tank.

Sound legimate

Speedbump

Reaction score
I agree with him except on the 1/2hp idea. If you want pressure, you won't get it from the 1/2hp. Go for a one horse. Nozzles and Venturi's can be tricked up to get even more pressure if necessary. We do it a lot.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Speedbump is mostly right!

Your water level has dropped a few feet and the pump can't make the pressure it could with a higher water level. It's called Total Dynamic Head. This is normal for all pumps.
Speedbump says: However a good pump would make more pressure than the HD variety.
Porky says: I don't agree. . . The pressure is in the proper sizing of the Venturi vs. Nozzle!

Other: a 1hp pump may supply to much volume for the well. Again the pressure is in the Venturi vs. Nozzle and not in the pump.

I agree. . . replace the tank while you're at it! Women don't like to be out of water!

Speedbump

Reaction score
Speedbump says: However a good pump would make more pressure than the HD variety.
Porky says: I don't agree. . . The pressure is in the proper sizing of the Venturi vs. Nozzle!

I would think a motor with a 1.25 service factor and a proper diameter impeller would make more pressure than a cheap motor with a 1.0 service factor and an impeller that matches would do a much better job.

There is another problem with false horsepower claims. That's why I can put one of my pumps against any of theirs of the same horsepower and blow their product away in volume and pressure.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks