Jet pump pressure

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Sam Downing, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Sam Downing

Sam Downing New Member

I just replaced my 1/2hp jet pump with a1/2hp new pump, and the expansion/pressure tank (25gal) with similar size. I am drawing water, but only enough to run a single faucet and not enough to reach the second floor or power the first floor shower. The switch is set 20-40 as factory settings and the pressure tank is 25lbs. To increase my pressure is it simply increasing the switch settings to 40/60? That's where the trigger points were on the previous pump. My gauge is currently reading 25lbs.
    Thanks for your help

Sam
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Yes all you need to do is increase the pressure switch setting. That is as long as your new pump can build that much pressure. You don't want to get close to the "max" pressure that pump can build.( check the pump specs) Depending on which 1/2 HP you have, the max pressure might only be 60 PSI. Which means you don't want to set the pump to shut off any higher than about 55 PSI.
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

You will also have to increase the air precharge on the tank.
  4. Sam Downing

Sam Downing New Member

I called the vet for a house call in the morning.
    I'll enjoy a cold beer with my feet up til then.