Jet Pump - Pressure switch only about 10lbs drop before switch turns on

Users who are viewing this thread

jabooakes

Reaction score
I have 2 well points at approx 25 ft. I have tested both and get about 20 GPM combined.

I have a 1hp Goulds jet pump with a 4.5 gallon pressure tank attached. I also have a pressure gauge.

I have emptied the pressure tank to ZERO PSI to get the cut off. The pressure switch is a 30/50.

I have adjusted the large spring and small spring and have the cutoff around 58 PSI. I unplug the pump and then allow the water to slowly exit. Watching the pressure gauge I only get about 10 to 12 PSI drop before the switch engages.

I have also witnessed that the pressure switch spring seems to "bounce" as pressure is building toward the top end.
s!ApxMvtey2gUinG0mc-9y8Xq1RSLI

I have also attached pic if this does not show.

My tank I simply want a little buffer and I am using it for irrigation only. Maybe I am missing something or doing it all wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160806_165955.jpg
    20160806_165955.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 357

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by "emptied the pressure tank to zero psi". The tank needs to have about 2 psi pressure below the cut-on for the pump, usually either 28 psig or 38 psig for a 40/60 switch.

Sometimes the springs on the switches get out of whack and you cannot get them set right. Put a new switch on and see if it helps.

jabooakes

Reaction score
I started with the tank at Zero PSI air in it.... Basically I wanted to make sure the tank wasn't playing a role in the fluctuation in pressure to I just wanted it to be what built up in the tank. So the cut off is around 58 when the switch clicks off. I slowly let out water with Zero PSI in tank from air and allow the tank to empty slowly watching when the motor click on and it only drops 10-12 PSI before if cuts back on. I thought it was to be 20PSI range plus whatever additional I increase cutoff with nut #2. Maybe I will just get them to send another switch. it is a brand new jet pump with PS built in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks