Jet pump pressure switch double picking

Users who are viewing this thread

Trailrider

Reaction score
Hello, I am hoping to get some help with a pressure switch that picks and drops twice each time it starts and stops.
I have replaced the pressure switch to no avail, I have adjusted the pressure both up and down. It is currently set up 40/60 psi and seems to operate properly otherwise.

Other info:

-New install of a used Berkley shallow well pump with new high pressure injector nozzel
-8 ft high draw from a lake, 1 1/4 in intake pipe
-40 ft of head in a 1 inch pipe to a bladder tank

When the pump shuts off I can see the pressure gauge bouncing about 5 psi, thinking the problem might be caused by the head pressure and the bladder tank at the top of the head, I installed a check valve in the line just beyond the pump. To no avail.

I'm out of ideas here and would appreciate some expert opinions.

Regards

Reach4

Reaction score
The pressure switch needs to be located at the pressure tank input. If that is not feasible, you could add a new smaller pressure tank a the switch.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pressure switch is attached to the side of the motor, the check valve should be on the intake pipe to the pump, not on the discharge side. If it still bounces, the pressure tank is too far away from the switch.

Trailrider

Reaction score
Thanks gent's, the switch is at the pump and the pressure tank up the hill, so it sounds like that is my problem.
I am unable to relocate the switch, would adding a small pressure tank at the pump do the trick? This would mean I would have a large pressure tank at the to of the head and a small one at the pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, that would be good. A small one (maybe even 2 gallons? maybe 4) would do it, although if your pump run time is currently under a minute, you might take the opportunity to go to a bigger tank than required to just solve the double run problem. The draw-down capacities of the two pressure tanks would add.

Trailrider

Reaction score
The pressure tank at the top of the head is a real big one and I'd say the run time is at least a minute.

Thanks for all the help!!

Reach4

Reaction score
The precharge air pressure of the lower-altitude tank should be higher than the higher-altitude tank. Measure the pressures of the cut-on points separately, and set the precharge 2 PSI lower than the pressure at that point when the pump cuts on.

That difference should be 0.4335 PSI for each foot of altitude difference, but it is probably easier to measure pressure than altitude.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks