Jet pump head busted.

Users who are viewing this thread

caktus

Reaction score
Haddy folks,

The other night we had a hard freeze. 19 deg I think. In spite of insulation some PCV pipes burst, but no big deal.

The real problem is the head on the Meyers HR (50S I think) burst pretty bad half way around the base of the neck where the well feeds into the pump. NEVER thought that woud happen. I don't know what time of the night (or morn) this happedened. But at 7AM the pump motor was running (dry). No smell of burning and the motor was cool to the touch. I'm wondering if it would be alright to just replace the pump head , impeler, etc. or if it would be best to just replace the pump. And if Myers is really the way to go. Any thoughts?

BTW, I did try to remove the head. Removed the 4 bolts and the head wouldn't budge. Tried to separate the head from the motor with a flat screw driver. It only seperated enough to brake the head loose. But the head would not remove from the motor, it will only spin. Have to admit I'm out of my league here. So if the head and guts [can] be replaced I could sure use some help here too.

Thanks. You guys have a great day.

Charlie

Speedbump

Reaction score
You probably took out the wrong four bolts. You can't remove the motor without first removing the casting. Then you have to remove the diffuser and impeller which is attached to the pump motor inside the sealplate. But to buy the parts would cost more than a new pump. Casting around $90.00, impeller $30 - $40, seal $10. Labor, who knows.

bob...

caktus

Reaction score
Thanks for responding Bob.

I purchased the Myers HR50S. I just received an email from them regarding a price check on the product. It informed me that they no longer carry the item.

They said they carry an equivalent to the Myers HR 50S which is the SW-50 1/2hp shallow well jet pump by national which comes with the bolt on jet which Myers doesn't and can also be used as a deep well jet if needed down the road. It's called a convertible jet pump. Price is $245.28 plus shipping.

Any idea which pump is better? If the Myers, where I might find it. Or what is meant by "bolt on jet"?

Thanks.

Charlie

Speedbump

Reaction score
You bought the pump from me. I don't have them anymore because of the price increase they imposed on me. I guess the big guys put some pressure on them to force me out of the picture. It worked!

The jet is what makes the pump either a shallow well or a deep well pump. This one comes with the shallow well jet to replace your Myers. Theirs is inside the pump which makes it strictly a shallow well pump.

bob...

caktus

Reaction score
Thanks Bob.

I'll call and order the National.

Have a great day. :)

Charlie

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not ashamed to tell folks who I am like that guy is. Of course if I gave advice like some he has given, I would want to be in cognito also. If I sold someone one of those Italian/Chinese knock off pumps, I would definately be in cognito.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks