Jet hole at the bottom of the toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

djones893

Reaction score
Do all toilets have a jet hole at the bottom of the toilet? I have a slow flushing toilet and I've cleaned the rim holes. I can't see or feel a hole at the bottom of the toilet but it might be so clogged that I missed it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many modern toilets have a siphon jet hole, many of the older ones do not. So, depends on the age. A low-flow toilet without one tends to not work well.

chrisf8657

Reaction score
We have some Kilgore's from 1982 that have a jet hole, though round and small. FYI. Poor bending trapway that causes clogs alot though.

Any other toilet issues or other slow draining appliances? That could signal a main line issue.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Few of the oldest toilets before the water saving mandates started had a jet. THey just dumped lots of water into the bowl until the pressure from that started the siphon. Most modern ones do use a siphon jet to get the siphon started since there is no longer a lot of water height and therefore weight to get it started with any power. One side effect with the newer ones is that there is less water washing the sides of the bowl to remove 'skid marks', if they happen to occur.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Few of the oldest toilets before the water saving mandates started had a jet. THey just dumped lots of water into the bowl until the pressure from that started the siphon. Most modern ones do use a siphon jet to get the siphon started since there is no longer a lot of water height and therefore weight to get it started with any power. One side effect with the newer ones is that there is less water washing the sides of the bowl to remove 'skid marks', if they happen to occur.
Sorry to dispute you, but that's not accurate. Before the 1.6 GPF mandate, only the less desirable toilets had no siphon jet. Apparently, the plumbing manufacturers didn't think the 1.6 GPF mandate would fly, and they definitely did not have suitable product ready for the market. The first 1.6 GPFs, even from the "big boys," had reduced trapways, lower bowl water levels and no siphon jet. The first generation of 1.6 GPF Kohler Wellworth had a small hole in the bottom of the bowl, but I don't know if it was a siphon jet. Of what was available at the time, that Wellworth was the best performer, and that's saying very little. After a few years, according to Lovelore (and others), Toto was the first to re-engineer low flow and the others have followed suit. However it came about, I'm happy that they finally figured it out.

If by "oldest," you were referring to early 20th century and before, then your info was accurate and I apologize for my misinterpretation.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
This is the first 1.6 GPF Kohler Wellworth, known as the Wellworth Lite. The original equipment flapper had a styrofoam float that most people adjusted to allow for more water for the flush. The one in this video has been retrofitted with an adjustable Korky flapper, but it seems to be adjusted properly for the 1.6 GPF flush, as I remember it.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Older toilets that used 5-8 gallons to flush didn't really flush much until most of the water was in the bowl, swirled around, then siphoned out. Once low-flow became mandated, those without one rarely worked well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks