jb weld?Toilet tank crack

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by cwhyu2, Mar 3, 2009.

1. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

10 min ago went past the bathroom and heard water running onto the floor.
    Found leak from cracked tank that been patched before. Water to W/C is
    off now.This is rental property and the owner will take days to return my
    call.Has anyone succesfully temporaly patched a crack in a toilet tank?
    JB weld comes to mind.I have never even tried.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

JB Weld is nothing more than epoxy. It may provide a temporary repair (or not) but a broken tank is final. You will need a new toilet. Your landlord is required to provide a functioning toilet. I would imagine this is an old full flow, so he is stuck with a new low flow.:)
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Gary is right. it's time to shop for a new one.

If you try to fix a cracked tank, and it gives out while you are at work, the bill could be in the tens of thousands.
  4. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

I will only turn it on when needed and off at all other times.Like I said the owner is Iwon`t use the words. thanks guys!
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

I have used JB a few times and when I am spanning a crack what I do is to coat a piece of paper on both sides with the JB...be sure the paper extends at least 1" beyond the crack every where...then apply it and smooth it with a disposable putty knife...
  6. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Just going to dump a bucket water in the bowl for now.thanks again for the
    info
  7. I've had customers break pieces off tanks before and I've adhered them back on with a 30-minute two-part epoxy.
  8. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Thanks W/C is being replaced saturday afternoon.
  9. wooo stash

wooo stash New Member

Sealing a tank with silicone

About ten years ago I noticed my toilet tank leaking~a crack in the back of it, don't ask how it got there that's a mystery. I emptied the tank and dried it up and put a bead of silicone on the inside~waited 24 hours and put a second bead over it. the next day I filled the tank and it hasn't leaked a drop all these years. Just a little tip for anyone with a mystery crack....
  10. Nothing in my career of plumbing involves JB weld.
  11. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Great idea, tube of Silicone $5.99

Cost to repair the home if it gives out while you are at work, up to $100,000.00 in damages.

Los Vegas baby. I guess you like to gamble.

[​IMG]

This tank is 34 years old. Would you want to Silicone this one too?
    Notice the nice mold on the bottom of the tank.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  12. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Heck yeah! Don't need no stinking new turlet, this one's been fine for 40 years! Why shoot, my daddy used it, and what's good enuf fer dad is good enuf fer me. Why shoot, Billy Mays swears by this stuff to fix anything. Cain't afford a new turlet no how, gotta make the payments on my RV. Pass me that there sillycone.:p
  13. achutch

achutch New Member

My next door neighbor found a crack inside the tank of her second floor toilet that ran the entire length where the floor of the tank meets the back wall, and partially up the right side.

She made the right decision and replaced the toilet.

We advised everyone in our annual condo association meeting to inspect the insides of their tanks, especially those people who had the original toilets installed in 1986.

If that tank had broken, there would have been major damage in my neighbor's unit, as well as in mine as that toilet is on the other side of the wall where my computer room is.

I have seen what a major leak can do. In 1985, I was living in a new 3 unit apartment building. The washers were on the second floor. I had one end unit. My washer was brand new and professionally installed. The tenant in the opposite end unit installed a used washer with used hoses. She left with the water turned on, a hose burst, and the entire building got flooded; my first floor having at least an inch of water in it. Then, when I arrived home to find all my furniture out on the lawn, the tenant whose machine had caused the flood was out on the lawn sipping on a glass of wine and tee-heeing that it was "just one of those things"!!!

I would rather spend money on a new toilet and correct installation of water using equipment than risk a flood!

achutch, nice and dry in Vermont
  14. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Toilet was replaced,but all the info is great stuff.Nobody wants to come
    home to a waterfall.
  15. Cass

Cass Plumber

Of all the epoxys I have use for various things JB Weld is about as good as it gets...when applied correctly it works well...
  16. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Epoxy is great for some things. But the point of this thread is using it to permanently patch a cracked toilet tank. In my opinion, this would not be a satisfactory permanent fix. Temporary to buy a week or so until a new toilet could be obtained, maybe. I would still opt for the silicone because it would expand/contract with the tank, epoxy would not. Nothing against JB Weld or Mighty Putty for some applications.
  17. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

In my first post it was to be temporary fix,Moot point for me as I replaced it
    this past weekend,but it is a good topic.It could keep someone from making
    a disasterous decisision.
  18. wooo stash

wooo stash New Member

That's a scary looking picture~much bigger crack than I had. Actually I only originaly used siicone as a temporary fix. It work so well that I actually forgot about it for years . This wouldn't work in every situation of course and its probaly best to start shopping for a new toilet. I'm finally replacing mine because I'm doing some remodeling in the bathroom.
  19. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

That's too often the case with temporary fixes, and we're probably all guilty of it. We just put it of for awhile, then it's forgotten about.:)