Japanese shower fixtures- thread sizes???

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cab, Mar 21, 2008.

1. cab

cab New Member

Does anyone here know anything about Japanese fixture thread sizes? I am building a Japanese home with a traditional walk in shower/bath room and want to use the Japanese style shower fixtures. I would like to know what kind of threads they use to see if I can connect with my water supply lines....

Thanks,

Chris

Here is a picture of a fixture and Japanese shower room:

Attached Files:

2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

No doubt they are metric. Adapters will be required.
  3. cab

cab New Member

I figured they would be metric. Are there adapters made and where would I find such things?

Thanks again for the reply...

Chris
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Thats the fun part once you know what size you need let your fingers do the walking. Try some of those fancy designer places!
  5. cab

cab New Member

Not going to make it easy for me are you!

Thanks again,

Chris
  6. krow

krow Plumber

Unless you bought this unit in Japan yourself and brought it back yourself. The place that you purchashed this unit should have supplied you with adapters to connect to standard American/Canadian plumbing. Have you tried to connect American threads to your faucet yet? just to test it first

European faucets are often supplied with metric to standard adaptors .As Redwood suggested, You need to check and designer type place that does alot of importing with brass faucets/fittings.
  7. good luck

I wish you all the luck in the world...

I once had to tangle with FRENCH plumbing fixtures

I would not wish that experience on a dog....
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

adapters

We can if you are willing to fly to Phoenix, then I can give you addresses.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2009
  9. cab

cab New Member

I plan to order them from a supplier in Japan. I am sure they will not come with any adapters. While they do not sell the fixtures I want in the US, I guess my best move is to call the US rep and ask them, maybe they can find out....
  10. Expect To Spend Countless Time And Energy

Good Luck
  11. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumbing fixtures I sell are made for the US market, include electrical and thread connections made to US specs.

I see plumbing brought back by tourists made for the Japanese market, and it can be quite different than what is found here.

I've seen their catalog and they sell things that have never been seen here. Nor would we know how to hook some things up.
    It will be an interesting project to be sure.

I know the reps don't encourage conversions, nor will you see that information on their web site.

As an example.
    The tank parts for some of the Japanese toilets for US use, are supplied by Korky, a US supplier of tank parts.
  12. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

Here is a link to a source of metric fittings. http://mdmetric.com/

If you have a complete set of Japanese fixtures, such as the shower head, piping, and control shown in the first post, they should all go together. Then all you need to do is adapt the water supply that is hidden behind the wall. You might be able to bore out a brass part to accept a US copper tube, or expand a wrought copper fitting or tube, to be able to solder them together.

Your customer might be happier in ten years if you could find "Japanese style" fixtures made to US plumbing standards.

You might have trouble meeting some codes with imported fixtures.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  13. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Like the one requiring it to be pressure balanced! Is it Pressure balanced?:rolleyes:
  14. cab

cab New Member

I have looked and looked and can not find anything in the US similar to the Japanese style shower fixtures. These are basically a faucet with a hand-held, surface mountable, shower head take-off. They have a thermostatic mixing valve built in at the faucet which allows you to set the temp on the left. They also have a valve which allows you to divert the water from the faucet to the shower, on the right side.

All I need to do is attach the water supply lines. I was hoping to find an adapter. I will look into the link above.

I do not know if they are pressure balanced, I will have to check.

The model I am looking at is made by Toto. A picture is below.

Thanks again for all the help...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  15. cab

cab New Member

I would really really appreciate that! Thank you!

Chris

16. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Grohe makes one nearly identical in function to that...I have it installed in my bath. It came with all of the adapters necessary to install it on a US sized piping system. http://www.grohecatalog.com/product/34066/ I chose this because I did not have access behind that wall and had installed a pocket door. There is a big air duct just behind that, so no real access, and swapping ends wasn't an easy option. WOrks great.
  17. cab

cab New Member

That looks really nice! I can get the TOTO unit wholesale in Japan for less than half the price of the Grohe unit at about $125 though, and since I will need two of them, I think I will stick with the TOTO and some adapters.

I appreciate the info! Thanks,

Chris
  18. mok

mok New Member

Hello, I realize this is an older thread, but I stumbled onto via a search. I am doing exactly the opposite of Cab, bought Grohe hardware in the US (and saved a LOT over the Japanese Grohe prices) and brought it to Japan for a loft we are renovating. Only after we brought the hardware back, did we realize that the thread sizes would be a problem, and am now in search of adapters.

Cab, and others, where did you end up finding your adapters?