Japanese beetles/lawn grubs

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Did anyone have a horrible season last year with these pests? I'm in SE Pennsylvania and nearly had my front lawn devoured by grubs (Japanese beetle larvae). The adult beetles also wreaked havoc on my climbing roses. Others in my neighborhood also have/had grub problems. My casual observations and discussion with a landscape contractor confirms this.

This year I'm applying Grub-Ex once per month and so far it seems to be working. Also I'm keeping an eye for adult insects, but I think it's still to early to see them.

Anyone else have recent war stories about dealing with these nasty creatures?

Prashster

Reaction score
10 years back (woah, was it that long ago) we had SO MANY grubs, I swear, the ground looked like it was moving when you didn't look directly at it. I mean, there must have been millions of them. I felt like Wang Lung in the Good Earth, 'cept it was grubs - not locusts...and I don't live in China.

They massacred the grass. You could pick out the whole clumps of it like it was a bad wig.

Anyway, the good news is that we didn't have the same problem the next year. and the grass came back pretty quickly. Don't forget to treat your sweet trees, like the maples in a month or so when da beetles come-a-callin!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of chemical...

Isn't Grub-Ex, and similar products, supposed to be applied once, any time between April and August, and remain in the soil all season? That's what I recall reading when I applied it last week.

Rather than multiple applications of chemical, I'd be tempted to add a biological treatment, like milky spore or beneficial nematodes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks