Japanese beetle

Discussion in 'Lawn Care/Landscaping' started by KitKat, Aug 29, 2008.

1. KitKat

KitKat New Member

Where can I purchase scent traps to keep Japanese beetles off my young birches and hawthorne tree?
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. Cookie

Cookie .

Walmart. lol.
  3. KitKat

KitKat New Member

Japanese beetles

Thanks Cookie. I've been unable to find them at Meijer or Menard's!

The swimming cat photo I actually borrowed from Google Images... her name is Lucy. However, I have a male named Tai who looks exactly like her!

Bob is a cutie!
  4. Cookie

Cookie .

Well, I did buy them there once, I don't know if they have them now. You might want to call first, unless they are close. Were I live they are about an hour away, so I always let my fingers do the walking. :) I think I saw them once at Kmart, too. Tai is a nice name.
  5. KitKat

KitKat New Member

Thanks. I will try Walmart and KMart. I've been spraying some nasty chemicals on the trees to chase the beetles away, but I'd rather use a less toxic solution in the interest of the environment :)
  6. Cookie

Cookie .

Less chemicals the better for sure.
  7. KitKat

KitKat New Member

Bob

Bob is amazing! Cats do seem to know exactly what they're doing and why, even if we can't ever figure it out! Congrats to Bob on making it to 21... wow! The oldest cat I had was named Chickie (my first cat ever when I was around 36 myself). Though she developed diabetes, she lived to be 18. I'll never forget her. I've had several since... all special. Presently, I have 5 felines, one dog (smaller than all five cats), and a pretty painted turtle. They're all my buddies and keep me entertained.
  8. Cookie

Cookie .

Don't you just love cats? Five felines, wow, and a dog, and turtle, you must be very busy. I have a picture of my neighbor's cat, she lives here. Her name is Sophie and she is a sweetheart you will see why. She is so sweet and she loves to be held and cuddled.

Here is Sophie on my front porch:
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  9. Cookie

Cookie .

A girlfriend sent these:
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  10. KitKat

KitKat New Member

Sophie

Sophie is very pretty. She looks like my Poppy, who is all black. He has extra toes on three feet, and his fourth foot is deformed. The toes never came down and are all kind of piled on top of his foot. He has one claw sticking up. He has enough padding on his foot to be able to walk and run, though. His sister is Ragweed. She also has the extra toes and is a big, beautiful farm cat (she and Poppy came from a farm!).

I love the two cat photos. The one on the left looks like my Chi; the one on the right, my gray stray, Shadow!

Needless to say, I do have allergies which get worse with each new cat! Oh, well... it's worth it.

Here's a photo of "Tai-Tai".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  11. Furd

Furd Engineer

[​IMG]
    This is Douglas. He's my best friend.

[​IMG]
    Here is HissCat. She is currently alternating on a local forum with Terry and the local Got Junk franchise.

[​IMG]
    Marmelade. His name is really Hobbes but I didn't know that when I named him Marmelade. He doesn't live with me but does come every day to visit.

[​IMG]
    And finally GreyKitty. He's an old cat and I worry about him. He is light as a feather and extremely skinny but otherwise seems reasonably content.
  12. Cookie

Cookie .

They are really nice, I love the pic of Hisscat, lol, he is really looking into the camera, now what is this Got Junk thing with the kitty? Is it something we can view here? Marmalade looks like my Bob. I get " borders" too.
  13. Furd

Furd Engineer

Bob looks to be a real sweetie, thanks for sharing.

Our local (Bothell, WA) Topix forum has alternating pictures. You can check it out here.

http://www.topix.net/forum/city/bothell-wa

Not that I have anything against Terry (we ARE neighbors, more or less) but I wanted to see something other than his grinning face or a couple of vehicles so I posted the picture of Hissy. BTW, she got that name because when she first came around (a little more than a year ago) she would always hiss at me. It took about a week before she was friendly and now I couldn't get rid of her if I used a stick. :D Douglas tolerates her but I think he would prefer she didn't live here.
  14. alternety

alternety Like an engineer

Regarding beetle traps. You can probably find them online. Strategy wise, give them to your neighbors and don't use them yourself. They draw insects from quite a distance. I have used them in the East and I am not sure that they don't just make things worse. If you use them, don't put them in the plants you are protecting. Put them around them at some distance.

Long term there are spores you can buy that you use to inoculate the soil. It takes a couple of years to fill in the yard. And I think you need to do it again occasionally. It kills the Japanese Beetle larva. They are those little white grubs that curl up when exposed. Probably a tan head. They are called cutworms because they will eat the roots off your grass and make it die in patches. You can actually just lift the turf up in sheets in bad cases.

Of course this does not fix your neighbor's breeding program.