I've never seen a toilet like this

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by brucet99, Sep 25, 2012.

1. brucet99

brucet99 New Member

Not since kindergarten, maybe.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I see nothing really unusual about it. The split seat is not as popular as a solid one, and the toilet may be a 3.5 gpf water hog, but other than those relatively minor details nothing out of the ordinary to my eye at least. May you can be more specific about what you see.
  3. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

I was curious, too. Is the size teensy?
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Maybe that's it. Hard to judge height from the photo. Maybe it was retrieved from a remodel of a school. That also might explain the split seat.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is probably a Crane "Baby Bowl" 10" high, (there was also an 8" Kindergarten by AMerican Standard made earlier). The bowl, even the elongated model, is rounder than a conventional toilet so it needs a special seat. Since they were usually installed in preschools and kindergartens the open front seat, some came with covers/lids, was a sanitary measure.
  6. DavidSeon

DavidSeon New Member

Uh, where's the trap?
  7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Toilet traps are enclosed in there base. You can not see it in the photo, and as I recall, older the trap was not visible from the outside. New ones are except on the skirted models. If there was a view of this one taken at a lower angle and perhaps a little more to the side, the trap would likely be visible.
  8. hj

quote; Uh, where's the trap?

You are kidding, right? The trap is inside the toilet like it has been on EVERY toilet since the 20s at least.

Quote;
    Old Retired Computer Programmer
    Obsolete and loving it

Same here, but only retired from the programming ratrace. I was programming when 16k was a big computer, and a small computer took up an entire room.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  9. brucet99

brucet99 New Member

See how over-large the tank looks? That toilet does not have an 8-gallon tank and the tub is not giant nor is the vanity extra high. That bowl is at least 5" lower than standard and smaller in diameter as well.
    HJ is right on, I think. It looks like the right size for a kindergartner or pre-schooler.
  10. DavidSeon

DavidSeon New Member

It's my old eyes. Until I looked closer, I thought that was empty space behind the bowl. Need a bigger monitor.:)

Yep, I just paid less than $100 for a 1TB disk drive. I started with dishwasher-size drives that were around $100,000 and think the disk packs were only 16MB each.

Dave
  11. hj

The IBM 1401/1440 systems used the 1311 disc drives with 2 meg capacity.