I've been slimed!

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
Today was not a good day. I was doing some demolition of old 2" ABS pipe (most of which had already been cut-away prior) and when I cut into one elbow the most heinous soggy putrid smelling goo splattered all over me, the floor, the walls, everything! OMG what a stink. I had to fight spewing myself.

Anyway, I'm sure you are all eating dinner as you read this for which I apologize... but what in the world!? I presume the pipe was not sloped properly and was accumulating a rotting mass of goo for years... is that about it?

Any advice for how to get the stink out of the area (fortunately it's the concrete basement floor mainly, though I fear the ceiling joists will not give up the odor easily). I mopped with a lot of amonia but I think it will still smell pretty bad tomorrow.

Any advice for how to handle the remaining pipe sections? (other than "carefully!") Thanks for lettting me share. I feel better already.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may not have been sloped, or it just may have too much grease in the line.
Bio-Clean helps with the goo.
Some cities require restaurants to use Bio-Clean or products like it go get rid of the goo in the pipes.

Kimster

Reaction score
Whatever's in those pipes is of a biological nature and you might want to try "Out!" cleaner and odor remover for pet accidents. I've used this to clean many smelly messes on concrete, wood, cloth, etc. and its enzymes seem to neutralize a lot of disgusting smells. It's available at WalMart and many other stores.

worsnup

plumbing contractor
Reaction score
your not a plumber until you get a little in your mouth.... oh ya.... simple green

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks