It's dead Jim. Well, 940' cased, 2hp at 600' 1.25" PVC pipe. Replacement Advice and $WAG please.

Users who are viewing this thread

rlj4214

Reaction score
I truly have no idea what I'm doing and what I did know I forgot a few years after this hole was punched and running.

Austin, TX, 78737, 8/19/2014

Pump is in dead short, so yeah "it's dead Jim" and obviously has to be yanked from the hole.
The information that I got from the guy that punched the hole is listed below:
Drilled in 1987 (So I at lease got my moneys worth out of it.)
2hp 230 / 1 / 60 pump (I think)
940' casing 4.5" diameter
600' pump
1.25" pipe
I do not know the draw down on the well but am trying to find out.
Current 2000 gallon storage tank. (Actually 2 x 1000) I will likely get another tank in addition since it lets the sulfur dissipate and doesn't choke you when you turn the water on. Maybe try to set up some rainwater harvesting later.
Current pump never ran the hole dry, but it sure didn't put out much water either and I would like to pump more water to keep the yard almost alive. (More storage would help obviously)

So that is the current information on the well for the most part, at least what I know or think I know.

I was wondering if there were any well guru's that might have suggestions about a set up and if I should use a 3hp or 5hp for this application.
The 3hp seems logical but what do I know?
In looking at a chart it would seem that a 3hp would push about 5.5 GPM but I don't know if that is dumping into a storage tank or a pressure tank. Doesn't seem like much.
Not sure what a 5hp would push but I think that is a little too large and lotsa $$$$.
It would seem intelligent to set the pump at 700 or 800 feet to take advantage of the well depth, deeper, maybe?
How much sediment is usually in the bottom of a cased hole?
Is a 5hp insane without knowing the draw down on the hole?
Am I correct in assuming that the pipe will need to go to a 2" or something else and that the wiring will need to be replaced with a heavier gauge?
Would a smaller pipe be of any benefit due to the depth and weight of the water column?
Would a smaller pipe like the 1.25" I already have 600' of even work or hold the load?
Electrically speaking, assuming that this pump runs for a good while to fill tanks but not that often unless I'm trying to save the lawn, would a 3 phase save any $$$ on the electric bill? Enough to matter?

If I was gonna get really brave and try to find a way to rent a boom truck and the equipment to do this myself what would I need?

SWAG at how much I will have to sell my dogs, cats and body parts for to pay for this?
Just a ball park guess of what seems reasonable would be nice.
Does anybody finance this sorta stuff? I paid cash the first time.

Any company in the area that you may have used or know about that you would consider recommending?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 5 GPM, 2HP pump can produce about 7 GPM from 600’. That is 10,080 gallons per day. From 800’ it can make about 5 GPM or 7,200 gallons per day.

A 7 GPM, 3HP can do 10 GPM or 14,400 gallons per day from 600’ or 7 GPM and 10,080 gallons per day from 800’.

A 5HP, 18 GPM pump can do 22 GPM or 31,680 from 600’ or 14 GPM (20,160 gallons per day) from 800’.
You would need at least 7 thousand gallon storage tanks to utilize all the water a 2HP can make. It won’t do much good to get a larger pump unless the well can make that much AND you have enough storage tanks to utilize that much water.

Three phase won’t save enough electricity to notice, but it would let you use smaller wire down the hole.
1 ¼” steel pipe is good up to about 15 GPM. More than that and you would probably want 1 ½” pipe.
Pulling and setting 600’+ is a tall order. It can be a dangerous job without the right equipment and know how. I am not saying you can’t do it, but it may end up costing you more than letting a professional do the job if anything goes wrong.

I am guessing a 2HP installed will cost you about $4,000, a 3HP about $6,000. A 5HP may cost about $10,000 as you will need new pipe and wire.

Divided by the number of gallons it will produce over the years, that is still just pennies per gallon.

Lots of questions for early in the morning. Let me know if I missed anything.

rlj4214

Reaction score
I find it interest that you are from Lubbock.
I was born there and sort of grew up in Lamesa.
Thanks for your reply. I'll read and digest.

rlj4214

Reaction score
From your statement I believe I will go with a 2 or 3 hp.
I do plan on getting AT LEAST another 3,000 to 4,000 gallons worth of storage.
Thank you very much for your reply.
Now, Gotta go get a new grubbing hoe to try and get through this rocky soil to plant a couple of things.
Mine sorta walked off when I kicked a guy off my property. Not surprising huh?

rlj4214

Reaction score
Oh yeah. This is PVC pipe.
If I go to 800, which seems logical, will that be strong enough or should I look at going to a 1.5"
And, approximately how much buildup at the bottom of the hole could I expect from a cased hole that deep.
What do you think would be a maximum depth?
Thank you very much for your replies.

Reach4

Reaction score
Regarding financing, I presume that a bank home equity loan would be better than financing via a provider. Expect lower rates and income tax deductibility that way.

Regarding sulfur in the house water, there are filters that can be effective. I have a backwashing iron and sulfur filter that is effective for me, but waters differ.

rlj4214

Reaction score
Regarding financing, I presume that a bank home equity loan would be better than financing via a provider. Expect lower rates and income tax deductibility that way.

Regarding sulfur in the house water, there are filters that can be effective. I have a backwashing iron and sulfur filter that is effective for me, but waters differ.

Thanks

rlj4214

Reaction score
I guess my main question at this point is the pipe.
I'm not sure what is even an option for 800' and a 3hp pump.
That information would help.
Thanks guys.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
We have been in a drought (the whole state) for years and years. The water under your ground is limited, the need for it on the surface is unlimited. Please do what you can to not waste any. The last time I was in Austin (this year) every lake was getting near or past critical levels.
I NEVER water my yard/plants and I encourage all my customers to not waste water unnecessarily even though we have much more water under the ground here than you do. It's still a finite amount.

Your Avatar says SE-Coastal.
So you actually have gotten some rain and since you are coastal will continue to.
Do I not have a right to try and save one small part of my yard for a sanctuary from the ongoing invasion from New York, Florida, California and Mexico?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks