Issue with Lining Up Bathtub Drain

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by sanrico, Oct 11, 2009.

1. sanrico

sanrico New Member

Hello everyone. I bought a replacement bathtub the exact size as the one I took out.

Before putting in the new tub, I measured the distance of the drain from the wall and they were the same. However, when we put in the new tub, it's off by about an inch or so. I am very confused how this could be and more importantly, how I can fix this (please see picture).

Will I have to pull the tub out (*shudder*) and extend that pipe? Or is there some sort of flexible something-or-another I can install from here?

Thanks!
    [​IMG]
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Sorry to say unless you have access to the back of the tub it must be removed and the drain relocated. It is very rare that the drain location is the same on tubs from different manufactures.

John
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  3. sanrico

sanrico New Member

I'm afraid I didn't understand this sentence. Rare?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It's almost never in the same place unless you get exactly the same model...you'll need to relocate the drain.
  5. sanrico

sanrico New Member

You guys were right. I bought a drain kit and it adjusted in seconds. The harder part was getting the tub out again.

I used come-along straps to pull the tub onto it's side (resting on a plywood sheet. When it was about 45 degrees, I inserted a stud between the tub and the wall so it wouldn't come back down. Of course, I had to climb over the tub to get back there, but I had enough space to quickly replace the drain pipe.

Thank you all for your help. At least I didn't sit there trying to devise a way to make the wrong pipe work.
  6. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Sorry I meant rare.

John