Issue with a Hunter ASV-075 Valve..

Users who are viewing this thread

osx-addict

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Hi all..

I've got 3 of these Hunter valves that I installed about a year and a half ago in a rental property we've got. Apparently one of them has malfunctioned OR something I suppose could be clogging the pipe? I can not turn on the valve manually either electrically or by turning the solenoid/bleeder screw.. Nothing happens -- no obvious water movement. The other two valves on the manifold are working fine -- this non-working one is the last one in the manifold that is furthest away from the incoming water source -- not sure if that matters. Do I need to rip the manifold apart or is there something else I should check first? Thanks! I've never had a valve behave like this before..

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You might want to check for a clogged debris screen , if you are using them.

I think that valve is available for under 20 us dollars new, online.

Not worth much trouble to repair, I suspect a restriction in the line rather that a bad valve.

If you buy a new one, just too try it, and it does not help , Then you would have a good spare.

Good Luck on your project.

Have a good Day.

DonL

osx-addict

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.. In looking at the Hunter literature for this valve, I guess I can take the valve apart and see what I find without needing to cut any plumbing or whatnot.. I'll let you know what I find..

osx-addict

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Well.. I finally got over there to do diagnosis and took apart two of the valves (one working, one not) and found a couple of small white pieces of plastic in the non-functional valve. We ended up also checking the solenoids to make sure they were working as expected -- which was not what I was expecting -- apparently they move a very small diaphragm of sorts to control whether the water is on or off. Anyway, after putting it back together along with flushing the pipe out it was working just fine. Unfortunately my work is not yet complete -- two other valves I had installed by a gardener during a time crunch -- crappy but cheap lawn genie models (probably <$5 at HD) have solenoids that are breaking down with severe cracking where the wires go in the top of the solenoids. One is not working but the other is. I'll be cutting those out and replacing them with the much better (IMHO) models talked about on this thread -- Hunter ASV-075's.. Those Lawn Genie's or whatever they are lasted only about 4-5 years.. Oh well.. you get what you pay for..

osx-addict

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Well.. one of the valves had a piece missing and I was a bit concerned about the UV damage overall to the valves since they sit in direct sun for about 90% of the day... It was easier for me to just replace the valves with the knowledge it's unlikely that they'd give me any trouble in the next several years -- I'm not sure I could say that about the old valves. Of course, I could be wrong.. I guess time will tell..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks