Island Vent Loop Question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Pauly79, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Pauly79

Pauly79 New Member

I'm in a two story condo, and am relocating the kitchen island.

The kitchen is on the second level, and the the current set-up involves an underfloor p-trap connected to a 2" drain that connects to a vented drain in the service wall.

I wanted to remove the p-trap from under the floor because it causes the bulkhead its in to be an extra few inches deep and as the bulkhead will be expanding horizontally as part of my renovations, its depth will cause problems with the opening of the front door. Removing the p-trap and putting it above the slab will allow the bulkhead to be expanded without interfering with the door.

My plumber is suggesting the use of an air admittance valve, which can be placed above the rim of the sink inside the island since the back of the island has a 6" deep ledge that rises 6" above the normal counter height.

However, I've been reading about island vent loops and am wondering if one might work in my case. Basically, I could run a loop vent like in the attached image, except the vertical vent part of the loop would connect directly to the horizontal drain, and then that drain would be connected to a stack at the service wall, since it would be very difficult to create a new horizontal vent that connects to the stack.

Is this possible solution, or do you need to have two separate horizontal vent and drain pipes running parallel to each other?

Attached Files:

2. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

Here's my take on island loop venting. I don't like it. I don't like it because even with the proper clean-outs, if part of the vent does plug up no one will even know. ( especially if there is a garbage disposal installed. I would much rather see a waste stack vent or, god help me, an AAV, if the waste to vent distance is too far.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I'm afraid it is a moot point for you.
    From what I understand the code used in Ontario likes P-Traps under the floor and does not like loop vents.
    You have to go with what is allowed by code in your location.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  4. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

I love that P trap under the floor thing. 36" stand pipe, sweet :) No worries about that trap plugging up. Oh Canada, I stand on guard for thee
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

They do seem to have a lot of complaints about how loud the dishwasher draining is though... Whodda Thunk!