Is Well water ok or nothing but problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Allfixer

Reaction score
Hi again! Im in the processes of purchasing a new house. The deal has not been finalized yet so I can bail out if something comes up.

The only thing holding me back on the house is that it has well water (which I have never had before or even seen LOL) and I know close to nothing about it other than when you loose power you loose the water too. Im being told that well water is better because its a free unlimited supply with no chlorine, but after reading more about it well water needs expensive filters, testing, maintenance, the pump can go bad costing thousands to replace along with low water pressure being the norm. In the end it costs more? Also if one has a high city water bill the well can dry up from over use?

The house and well system are all from 1997 btw.

Will a house with city water be cheaper in the long run or is it the other way around?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It depends on the well. Many cities rely on wells for water. Low pressure is not the norm, or at least need not be. Filters and/or other conditioning is not a given. Get the water tested before you buy. Make sure you have a proper well record so you know what's down the hole.

IMHO, the cost of monthly water bills would likely be higher than the cost to have your own well.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you're considering buying a house with a well, spend the money to have a well inspection done. Be sure to get a yield test done, an equipment inspection, and if possible a down hole camera survey done on the casing and pitless adapter. I can't begin to count all the times I have been called by new homeowners that have run the well dry because they didn't have an inspection done and the well doesn't produce enough water.

I live in Ct, and have city water which runs about $325.00 a year.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks