Is twisting a P trap to offset/redirect it ever "too much" WWTD? See mockup pics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have a odd situation where the sink drain hole has to be a bit forward in the cabinet because of the foundation sill below. This, combined with a AAV, is causing the reach of the trap to be really far back in the cabinet. If I "twist" the P trap so it almost overlaps, it aligns with the hole.

Is twisting the P trap ever "too much" and will cause drainage issues? Should I instead just do a offset (65/65 elbows) with the drain coming up to put it further back in the corner and alleviate the P trap twist (but add two elbows - six of one, half a dozen of the other)?

What would Terry do?

Here are photos of the mockup:

photo 2.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A p-trap will function fine, even when it is folded back on itself as far as it can go.

FWIW, pictures attached to your post rather than a link is the preferred method, since they then stay with the post for history...your links may go away, and some people do not trust strangers to provide safe links and won't look at them, that may limit your responses. Click 'Go Advanced' and scroll down a bit to the attachments section.

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight jadnashua.

I updated my post and attached the images.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Someone more familiar with the code may comment, but the AAV placement would have been better if you used a T at the pipe, and ran it up on a stub higher towards the bottom of the counter. If there's a full sink, and a clog, you're going to get crud into the AAV, and that may foul the one-way valve in there, but the positioning of the p-trap is okay.

See what one of the pros has to say.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks