Is twisting a P trap to offset/redirect it ever "too much" WWTD? See mockup pics...

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by 157, Mar 27, 2014.

1. 157

157 New Member

I have a odd situation where the sink drain hole has to be a bit forward in the cabinet because of the foundation sill below. This, combined with a AAV, is causing the reach of the trap to be really far back in the cabinet. If I "twist" the P trap so it almost overlaps, it aligns with the hole.

Is twisting the P trap ever "too much" and will cause drainage issues? Should I instead just do a offset (65/65 elbows) with the drain coming up to put it further back in the corner and alleviate the P trap twist (but add two elbows - six of one, half a dozen of the other)?

What would Terry do?

Here are photos of the mockup:

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A p-trap will function fine, even when it is folded back on itself as far as it can go.

FWIW, pictures attached to your post rather than a link is the preferred method, since they then stay with the post for history...your links may go away, and some people do not trust strangers to provide safe links and won't look at them, that may limit your responses. Click 'Go Advanced' and scroll down a bit to the attachments section.
  3. 157

157 New Member

Thanks for the insight jadnashua.

I updated my post and attached the images.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Someone more familiar with the code may comment, but the AAV placement would have been better if you used a T at the pipe, and ran it up on a stub higher towards the bottom of the counter. If there's a full sink, and a clog, you're going to get crud into the AAV, and that may foul the one-way valve in there, but the positioning of the p-trap is okay.

See what one of the pros has to say.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

This looks fine. I do the same thing with the p-trap when I have little space like that.
    The AAV is fine too.
    Looks nice.
  6. yngwie_69

yngwie_69 New Member

Prefer this

I think its better to have the aav on top of the vertical pipe instead of the horizontal run
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The AAV on top of a tee would have taken up less room and made the "P" trap connection "neater", but other than that it is fine.