Is this water closet drain vented properly?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mjsmith0, Feb 13, 2010.

1. mjsmith0

mjsmith0 New Member

Here are a couple pictures of the plumbing for my water closet. (One is dry fit and the other shows it installed). Does this look like it's vented this properly? (The vent pipe will extend 4-5' farther up before it turns.)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

A vent cannot run horizontally until it is a minimum of 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Unfortunately that is a VERY BIG NO. That fails inspeciton for the very real reason that such a horizontal vent would very soon be clogged with waste.
  4. mjsmith0

mjsmith0 New Member

5. jc60618

jc60618 DIY Junior Member

The last illustration would pass inspection in Chicago, I dont know about your area.The pictures you posted before wouldnt because you had those two fiitings raising the quarter bend above the vent. But like I said this last illustration would pass in Chicago. We often vent suspended toilets, p-traps or showers this way.
  6. mjsmith0

mjsmith0 New Member

Gotcha. It makes sense to me now. Probably should have realized that before. Thanks!
  7. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Under the UPC you can run a flat vent the way it's shown, you just have to add a clean-out on the vent where it comes up in the wall.
  8. mjsmith0

mjsmith0 New Member

Another idea

How about this? Would this work and pass inspection? (The sanitary tee is rotated 45 degrees around the horizontal.)
    [​IMG]
  9. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Nope, 2 reasons. can't lay a san tee on its side and your vent off the back of it is still flat. Re-think the whole thing. What code are you under? If it's IPC your vent to water closet distance is unlimited and it may be far better to wet vent the whole lav throught the lav.
  10. mjsmith0

mjsmith0 New Member

One last try

Here is a variation on that design that would fit in the space I have. It is somewhat like the design I found on DIY site I showed above, but with a twist (literally!) I wonder if its too much of a pretzel?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks everyone for your patience and help while I try to figure this out!
  11. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Nope, you still have a flat vent there. All vent piping must rise vertically.
  12. krow

krow Plumber

Its being wet vented from what I see. The only issue that I see is that you have too many bends before the vent
  13. mjsmith0

mjsmith0 New Member

If the water closet distance is unlimited, can I do something like this. (This is a picture that show more or less how the whole system is designed.)
    [​IMG]
  14. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Krow, that looks like a clean out there, not a san tee.