Is this undersink plumbing to code?

Users who are viewing this thread

TNHomeowner

Reaction score
Is this under sink plumbing to code? We had to alter our existing plumbing after a new countertop and sink were installed. We added the vertical pipe that is connected to the horizontal pipe coming out of the wall so we could get the angle to connect to the P-trap to work. It is dry fitted in at the moment. Thank you for any assistance.

Attachments

• P-Trap Alteration.jpg
    P-Trap Alteration.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 565

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
No. Traps must be self cleaning with a liquid seal of not less than two or more than four inches. The trap arm cannot offset up in elevation which will have an adverse effect on drainage, self cleaning and venting.

TNHomeowner

Reaction score
No. Traps must be self cleaning with a liquid seal of not less than two or more than four inches. The trap arm cannot offset up in elevation which will have an adverse effect on drainage, self cleaning and venting.

Thank you. We will take out the vertical piece and try again to align without it. Any pointers on how to get this to align correctly? The other two sinks lined right up and weren't a problem. We just reconnected. On this one the angle is off just slightly. We may have to call a plumber...

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The sani tee in the wall needs to be lowered if you keep that pop up tailpiece. As it is, there are a lot of joints below the water line and it is subject to leak. Also it will clog easily like that. The water in the trap/trap seal should not be over 4 inches deep.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can cut the tailpiece coming out of the sink (as long as you have enough length left to slide far enough into the compression fitting), but I can't tell for sure if that would get the trap high enough to run into the wall at the right elevation. If that won't work, then you'd need to lower the fitting in the wall.

TNHomeowner

Reaction score
You can cut the tailpiece coming out of the sink (as long as you have enough length left to slide far enough into the compression fitting), but I can't tell for sure if that would get the trap high enough to run into the wall at the right elevation. If that won't work, then you'd need to lower the fitting in the wall.

Yes, we will have to give that a try. Thank you.

TNHomeowner

Reaction score
You will have to reverse the "J" bend, but you have to cut what you have done out, and I cannot tell if you will have enough pipe sticking out of the wall to reconnect everything.

I see that you are a master plumber and one of the staff moderators. Thank you for assisting. The pipes are dry fitted, not glued, in place at the moment. There is 3 inches of pipe available from where it connects to the joint sticking out of the wall, so there is enough room to reconnect. The problem is that when the "J" bend is taken off, the pipe runs into the sink stopper. Would an actual plumbing store have more options for the pipe running down from the sink, for example, one that may have the sink stopper higher on the pipe? Our Home Depot and Lowe's do not. If so, that may work...

I do not follow what you are saying about reversing the "J" bend.

Thanks for assisting.

TNHomeowner

Reaction score
The sani tee in the wall needs to be lowered if you keep that pop up tailpiece. As it is, there are a lot of joints below the water line and is is subject to leak. Also it will clog easily like that. The water in the trap/trap seal should be over 4 inches deep.

Thank you for responding. Do you know if actual plumbing stores carry tail pipes with the sink stopper placed higher? Also, how could it be plumbed with less joints below the waterline? We are following what the plumber had in place initially. Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In looking at it again, I don't see a way to fix this without lowering the fitting in the wall assuming you want to keep the sink stopper. While you could cut off some of that tailpiece, you can't go high enough because of the location of the stopper mechanism.

CubGirl

Reaction score
i'm sure the professional plumbers will hate this, but i've used flex pipes with much success. no cutting and moving things...

Go to google and type in flex p trap. installs easy as pie.

41OxxeNFq9L.jpg 417z-RLnVYL.jpg 51UMU7BvFXL.jpg 31fF-bcEcTL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TNHomeowner

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

TNHomeowner

Reaction score
In looking at it again, I don't see a way to fix this without lowering the fitting in the wall assuming you want to keep the sink stopper. While you could cut off some of that tailpiece, you can't go high enough because of the location of the stopper mechanism.
I went and purchased a pipe with the sink stopper quite a bit higher but it still leaves the pipe about an inch lower than it needs to be. I am going to check at our local plumbing store tomorrow to see if they have any other suggestions before going the route of lowering the pipe. You were so right...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks