Is this trap OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
If I understand your last post, and using the picture above, the vertical section that has no venting (where the AAV is in the photo) is actually in your wall and where the AAV is shown in the photo is a real vent line going to roof. If this is the case, the AAV is not needed under the sink.
Am I confused on what is in the wall?

EDIT: Okay, I think I'm starting to follow you. You are looking for a way to vent the "current p-trap setup" so you don't need to cut a notch in the cabinet floor and not lower the p-trap to below the waste pipe at the wall.

SAS

Reaction score
If I understand your last post, and using the picture above, the vertical section that has no venting (where the AAV is in the photo) is actually in your wall and where the AAV is shown in the photo is a real vent line going to roof. If this is the case, the AAV is not needed under the sink.
Am I confused on what is in the wall?

EDIT: Okay, I think I'm starting to follow you. You are looking for a way to vent the "current p-trap setup" so you don't need to cut a notch in the cabinet floor and not lower the p-trap to below the waste pipe at the wall.
Yes, your last comment is correct. Sorry I wasn't clear about that picture. It is just a sample that I found on the Internet of a vertical line with a tee and an AAV. In my case the two "best" choices are to modify the cabinet so that I can lower the trap or to open the wall and raise the height of the stub out from the drain pipe in the wall. I'm looking for something that is up to code and doesn't require either of those efforts.

(and thanks for all of your help)

Reach4

Reaction score
SAS's plan would look somewhat similar to this except SAS would get the P-trap part right and not have a horizontal part int the vent line going up to the AAV. If he had to jog, he would use 2 45s .
index.php

Terry's suggestion is more like this:
plumbing-trap-cabinet-probl.jpg
but probably with a little bigger hole to be able to move things a bit.

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
The AAV would protect the trap from siphoning due to negative pressure. The vent in the wall would protect the trap from positive pressure.

There are ways of venting an island sink without using an AAV.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Bottom line: before the outlet of the p-trap can turn down, that arm coming out of the trap must be vented. IF allowed where you live, an AAV will satisfy that requirement, but it's best to avoid using one as it's another maintenance item to deal with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks