Is this the cover for a Septic Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wombat

Reaction score
We are trying to sell a house built in the 50's in New Jersey and they buyer found some kind of tank on the yard. They say it isn't a Oil tank so that leaves only a Septic tank IMO. If it is a Septic tank can we just pump it out, take off the cover and fill it up? That's what the State Code allows. What is the kind of fill we want? How hard is it to take off the cover? I will find out from the County exactly what they want but I am looking for what is generally done with this type of tank

The funny thing it is inside the Garage which is an integral part of the house (bedrooms are over the garage) so it seems like a very strange place for a Septic tank but of course this is New Jersey in the 50's

Attachments

• Tank-Cover-1.JPG
    Tank-Cover-1.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 289
  • Tank-Cover-2.JPG
    Tank-Cover-2.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 284
  • dug-up-1.jpg
    dug-up-1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 247
  • dug-up-2.jpg
    dug-up-2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Those pipes you show in the first picture look like standard "cleanout" fittings (the place where a plumber can insert a snake to clean the pipes). The septic tank would be in the yard (not in the garage). You can't build a structure over a septic tank. I assume you have confirmed that your house drainage was piped to county sewer system at some point.

Septic tanks have a cleanout lid (the septic tank at my house is about 5ft x 10ft x 4ft deep concrete box. And the entire 5 x10 cover could be removed, but there are two cleanout lids (one at each end) which are also concrete approx. 2ft x 2ft with a tapered edge (so it can't fall into tank). Look for something like that.

I know most home-sale contracts have language requiring that the septic tank be pumped out prior to sale, and even if this tank was abandoned and you are still required to pump it out (and it may be empty) can you just pump it out and leave it as is - why fill it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is NOT a "tank", but you would have to remove the 3 plugs to determine what it is. Probably a house trap, but not sure what the third plug is for.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
House traps were done several different ways. Sometimes there were just two openings with no vent and sometimes one of the two on the house side would be for a vent to the outside. Thetrap like in the photo with a third opening was for a vent usually on the house side:

housetrap3.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks