Is this stack up legal?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by TomWS, May 22, 2011.

1. TomWS

TomWS New Member

The house was built in 2006 so could be either UPC 2006 or earlier. If we ignore the metal strap hangers and the wire dangling under the pipe, is the Wye and the 45 degree stack a proper setup? It seems 'unusual' to me...

The reason I ask is that I'm about to get some additional plumbing installed and I don't want the Inspector noticing this and forcing us to change it at our expense (I'll hire the original plumber in that case and he can fix anything not meeting code at his expense).

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

As long as the pipe is graded properly, at a 2% grade, then it looks like nice work.
    The pipe should be supported every four feet.
  3. TomWS

TomWS New Member

Thanks! You've taken a load off my mind!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; I'll hire the original plumber in that case and he can fix anything not meeting code at his expense).

Good luck with that after 5 years, especially if it was inspected at that time.
  5. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

Good luck is right... what world do you live in?
  6. TomWS

TomWS New Member

I live in a fantasy world where things that aren't right are made right...
  7. hj

quote; I live in a fantasy world where things that aren't right are made right...

That is an "ideal". In the real world, things are "made right", but after a year, you pay for them.
  8. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

And you buy a 5 year old home, but expect the people involved with the build originally to come out of the woodwork and fix things that you think are done wrong?
  9. TomWS

TomWS New Member

If you read OP then you'd know I was referring to a condition that AHJ thought was wrong and, last I checked, he has the final word.
  10. hj

quote; If you read OP then you'd know I was referring to a condition that AHJ thought was wrong

Correction. It was a condition the HOMEOWNER thought was wrong, and after a year, (two in this area),the original contractor had NO LIABILITY to redo it. He, nor I, would change it unless the owner was willing to pay for the work, and in this case I might insist on payment up front so he could not "change his mind" after the work was completed. But this is all acedemic, since there is nothing defective about the existing installation, at least in the picture which was posted.
  11. TomWS

TomWS New Member

Just so we're clear, you are right. I saw this stack up and THOUGHT is was, to quote EXACTLY, "unusual".

Two things came to mind. IF it WAS wrong, AHJ COULD ask for it to be fixed because it had been missed in the original inspection. TWO, since I wasn't sure it was wrong, I came here to consult with the EXPERTs for an opinion BEFORE I acted on MY opinion and got a very straightforward and useful one from Terry. End of the 'real story'.

I didn't come here to have a philosophical discussion on whether a professional plumber has a duty to meet code with their work, two days or five years after the work is done. Obviously we have a differing opinion on that matter - all of which is totally irrelevant to the original question.
  12. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

That work looks fine.
  13. hj

quote; Obviously we have a differing opinion on that matter - all of which is totally irrelevant to the original question.

It is NOT irrelevent when you start talking about having "the original plumber fix it at his own expense". At that point it becomes VERY relevent.