Is this setup ok? Wet Vent/Washer/Utility Sink

Will this setup siphon the trap of the sink?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadambomb

Reaction score
Hello,

I am doing a bathroom remodel which includes a utility/mop sink next to a stacked full size front load washing machine (and dryer). This is what the plumber did. It looks like he used a wet vent for the Utility Sink using the drain for the washing machine. I think the p-traps for both the washer and utility sink are 1.5 inches, going into a 2 inch drain. He tells me this is fine because the wet vent it is less than 8 inches long and the 1.5 p-traps are going into a drain of increasing size. He says he sees this as more of a "stack vent/stacked vent" than a "wet vent". The actual vent is 1.5 inches which was already existing, and would have required lots of drywall to be removed upstairs to increase the vent size. What do you think? Will this be ok? Should he have just added a vent near the p-trap of the utility sink and connected it to the vent above the washer drain? My town inspector already inspected it and signed off, but I still thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
View attachment 31844

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber, nor an experienced amateur.

From what I have seen, that wet venting is not technically correct. I could be wrong.

I would like to see a cleanout above where you switch from vertical to horizontal. It may be required, but I am sure it is a good idea. Clogs tend to happen where you transition to horizontal. I expect that if the cleanout was added above the upper sanitary tee, the part below the cleanout should be 2 inch.

I am confident that the part that I marked in red should be 2 inch. So if that is all two inch, I expect that what you have will work fine other than the lack of a cleanout.

I suggest you identify the pipe sizes so when a plumber views your picture, he will have the pipe sizes identified.

Attachments

• img_2.jpg
    img_2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 4,018

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wow!
That would never fly in the Seattle area or anywhere that they use UPC codes.

The laundry tray is not vented.
You can't wet vent a washer over a sink. I siphons the trap of the sink.
1.5" works for the venting as long as you go back and vent both fixtures, tying them together six inches above the flood level.

Jadambomb

Reaction score
Terry, you said "The Laundry Tray is not vented." Isn't it "wet vented" through the washer drain line? What is the likelihood that this will siphon the trap of the sink? High? Low?

Thanks!

Jadambomb

Reaction score
I am not a plumber, nor an experienced amateur.

From what I have seen, that wet venting is not technically correct. I could be wrong.

I would like to see a cleanout above where you switch from vertical to horizontal. It may be required, but I am sure it is a good idea. Clogs tend to happen where you transition to horizontal. I expect that if the cleanout was added above the upper sanitary tee, the part below the cleanout should be 2 inch.

I am confident that the part that I marked in red should be 2 inch. So if that is all two inch, I expect that what you have will work fine other than the lack of a cleanout.

I suggest you identify the pipe sizes so when a plumber views your picture, he will have the pipe sizes identified.
Yes, everything you marked in red, is two inches.

Jadambomb

Reaction score
Wow!
That would never fly in the Seattle area or anywhere that they use UPC codes.

The laundry tray is not vented.
You can't wet vent a washer over a sink. I siphons the trap of the sink.
1.5" works for the venting as long as you go back and vent both fixtures, tying them together six inches above the flood level.
Terry, you said "The Laundry Tray is not vented." Isn't it "wet vented" through the washer drain line? What is the likelihood that this will siphon the trap of the sink? High? Low?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
High.
I can't imagine someone putting a pumped fixture above a sink like that.
I've seen it the other way around, and they don't let me do that anymore either.
The washer is a 2" drain that is pumped.
What plumbing code are you under and what inspector lets you do that?

Jadambomb

Reaction score
High.
I've seen it the other way around, and they don't let me do that anymore either.
So what would you suggest to fix it? Add a vent to the sink that ties into the vent ABOVE the washer drain? I'm in NY. Whatever the code is here...

Last edited:

Jadambomb

Reaction score
High.
I just spoke to the inspector and he told me that because they are on the same floor, and because the wet vent is a 2" diameter and the washing machine is 3 DFUs, it's ok, because a 2" wet vent can handle up to 4 DFUs.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
It would be very hard to change it now so just

Leave it alone and install an auto air vent on the laundry tub line
that is a cheap , easy way to be sure...

it will work with an accessable auto air vent before the p-trap...

and or you could always make a deeper trap for the laundry too...

I dont think the plumber will mind too much to install one if it makes you
happy..... go out and buy one for 5 bucks and have it there on the finish for him....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks