Is this S trap or P trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

leonk

Reaction score
Just noticed this at my brothers home. Was wondering if this is an S trap or works fine? And if it's not legal, what are some suggestions to fix this?

I'm thinking that everything is fine except for the sanitary T. The plumbing from the kitchen should go in to the T from the right (rather than top) and let the vent stack connect into the top of the T and into roof line.

Except for main stack (3") everything else is 1.5". Horizontal distance from P to stack is about 5-6 feet total.

Am I right, or does this work, or are there other problems here?

P.s. the reason why the vent line is not in a straight line with main plumbing stack is because main stack is a few feet away from wall in basement (it has a 90 on top and goes across the roof to a different bathroom) while air vent to roof line seems to come up inside the outside wall. (hence the jot over)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
S-trap...the trap arm cannot turn down until it is vented (it should slope 1/4" per foot, though).

leonk

Reaction score
S-trap...the trap arm cannot turn down until it is vented (it should slope 1/4" per foot, though).

How will you convert this to P trap? Where does the vent need to go? First 90 and nowhere else allowed?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
After the trap, it must continue horizontally to the vertical vent. Without seeing the actual plumbing pieces, it's not easy to tell. It can be 1.5" up the vent, but should be 2" all the way to the drain, but you could use a 1.5x2x2 fitting to make the connection, or use a reducer on a 2x2x2 one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks