Is this reasonable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mick56

Reaction score
I got a quote for a plumber to run two new drains and one vent in an addition recently put on my house. I had it framed by a builder and I am doing most interior work myself. It is still in rough form, all studs, no drywall up yet. Most wiring in roughed in. I wanted to hire a plumber for some work.

The drains are for a kitchen and laundry room, with a separate vent for these two drains. The original part of the house has an existing bathroom that doesn't need work.

It is single story, both drains are probably going to run about 25-30 feet. The plumber is also fixing one bad former fix on an existing joint in the main stack. Work under floors is either full basement height or tall crawl space (4 ft) . Is $845.00 reasonable? I am tight on time and do not want to seek more quotes if I do not have to. The plumber comes well recommended.

Any help you can provide is great. If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks

Mick56

Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify. The plumber is only doing the drains, vent and repairing an old connection in the main stack. The repair is one of those flexible wrap things, kind of like an oversize hose clamp but with a rubber lining. Plumber will not be running new water lines.

Still reasonable? He will need to get on my roof to put in brand new vent for these two drains.

Mick56

Reaction score
New vent and both drains on new build side. He will have to come over to the old part of the basement to connect the drans to the existing main stack, but he has plenty of free space to do that...house is 130 yrs old, but newer basement/foundation.....probably 6 feet of head room and it is just utility space, no finished living space.,

Mick56

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your opinion. I really appreciate it. I know more about electrical than plumbing and normally do simple things myself...but I wanted to make sure I did not have issues with my drains and I know little about code on such things so, some things are better left to professionals and the wisdom is knowing when to call them in! As I said before, I am clueless on pricing for plumbing too.

Mick

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Above ground, you need a no-hub connector to connect drain pipes. This does have hose clamps on the ends, but has a metal reinforcment jacket around it to keep the pipes aligned. He should not use one without that reinforcement, as those are only approved for underground use where the pipes can be supported by backfill so they won't shift.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks