Is this pressure relief valve working properly?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Waynef, May 11, 2011.

1. Waynef

Waynef New Member

IMAG0018.jpg
    When my pump starts, it squeals, then a small amount of water spews from this valve. What kind of problem am I having? Just took cover off of well, looks like it has been doing this for awhile.
  2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Hello Wayne,

If that is a heating wire on that valve, then I would remove it.

It should not be coiled around the valve. maybe 1 turn only, or the wire could overheat.

The wire looks like it has been very hot.

Have a Great Day.

DonL.

P.S. The valve could have been damaged.
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  3. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

Relief Valves shouldn't leak until a certain pressure. It's a relief valve, it does nothing unless excessive pressure is reached.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The spring wear out over time.
    You might consider replacing it.
  5. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

As mentioned in your other thread, that whole mess is due for some upgrade to code, and here I agree with code. Conduit, cover, new valve, etc.

Your well tank might be waterlogged causing a pressure spike, or that sad valve is not set for the correct pressure.

At least fix the wires and get that thing under a dog house.
  6. Waynef

Waynef New Member

I finally got around to replacing the pressure relief valve, but it continues to spurt water when the pump shuts off. Is there some adjustment I can make to the pressure switch? Maybe make it shut off a little sooner?
  7. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Most of them you can take the cap off and tighten down on the adjustment screw to increase the pressure setting. But the fact that it happens at shutoff, makes me think you have a water hammer problem from two many or a bad check valve.