Is this ok for Toilet drain and Vent?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by nelsonba, Nov 12, 2007.

1. nelsonba

nelsonba Member

My understanding is that the maximum distance from the toilet to the vent is 6 feet. Is this correct? Assuming my distance is less than 6 feet, will this setup work?

Attached Files:

2. Herk

Herk Plumber

I don't know which code you're under, but it wouldn't pass code here. And I wouldn't want the two 90's even if it did pass. For a continuous waste and vent system, you need a tee, not a wye in the stack.

Two 45 degree ells and a tee and it's much better. Or, you can turn the tee to 45 degrees, and use a single 45 degree ell to head straight to the toilet, though it means an elongated hole in the joist. And you can keep it up in the floor joists. As to the distance, again, I don't know which code you're under - the codes differ. Under the Uniform Plumbing Code, the distance for 3" trap arms is 6', the distance for 4" trap arms is 10 feet.
  3. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

You can't pass 4" pipe through a 2x8 - you can't even pass a 3" pipe.

The biggest hole you can bore is 1/3 joist depth, remember from last night? About 2-1/2".

I see you found the pipe fittings section in the warehouse... :)
  4. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

I would come straight down the joist the wye is in now then turn the pipe once and penetrate the joist at the toilet.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

An elbow under the toilet heading to the right through the joist. Then an elbow towards the stack, and a sanitary tee for the connection.
  6. nelsonba

nelsonba Member

How about keeping the elbow off the toilet in the same direction, running the drain between the joists, and then turning it through the joist and connecting at the stack with a tee?
  7. nelsonba

nelsonba Member

How about this?

Does this work?

Thanks

Attached Files:

8. frenchie

You're going to have to engineer something for that joist, man - it's way too big a hole for a 2x8.
  9. nelsonba

nelsonba Member

Yup

I'm going to call the inspector about it before I do it to see what my options are. Worst case scenario I drop it into the ceiling below and build a soffit.
  10. frenchie

There's other options, depending on the loads & etc. You might just need to sister it, or scab on some 2x4's avove & below the hole, or use some steel plate reinforcement...