Is this ok for Toilet drain and Vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
My understanding is that the maximum distance from the toilet to the vent is 6 feet. Is this correct? Assuming my distance is less than 6 feet, will this setup work?

Attachments

• Framing With Plumbing 1.jpg
    Framing With Plumbing 1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 9,936

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know which code you're under, but it wouldn't pass code here. And I wouldn't want the two 90's even if it did pass. For a continuous waste and vent system, you need a tee, not a wye in the stack.

Two 45 degree ells and a tee and it's much better. Or, you can turn the tee to 45 degrees, and use a single 45 degree ell to head straight to the toilet, though it means an elongated hole in the joist. And you can keep it up in the floor joists. As to the distance, again, I don't know which code you're under - the codes differ. Under the Uniform Plumbing Code, the distance for 3" trap arms is 6', the distance for 4" trap arms is 10 feet.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
You can't pass 4" pipe through a 2x8 - you can't even pass a 3" pipe.

The biggest hole you can bore is 1/3 joist depth, remember from last night? About 2-1/2".

I see you found the pipe fittings section in the warehouse... :)

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
My understanding is that the maximum distance from the toilet to the vent is 6 feet. Is this correct? Assuming my distance is less than 6 feet, will this setup work?

I would come straight down the joist the wye is in now then turn the pipe once and penetrate the joist at the toilet.

Nelsonba

Reaction score
How about keeping the elbow off the toilet in the same direction, running the drain between the joists, and then turning it through the joist and connecting at the stack with a tee?

Nelsonba

Reaction score
How about this?

Does this work?

Thanks

Attachments

• Framing With Plumbing 2.jpg
    Framing With Plumbing 2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 6,685

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Yup

I'm going to call the inspector about it before I do it to see what my options are. Worst case scenario I drop it into the ceiling below and build a soffit.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
There's other options, depending on the loads & etc. You might just need to sister it, or scab on some 2x4's avove & below the hole, or use some steel plate reinforcement...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks