Is this drain arrangment code OK?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by novaee04, Apr 14, 2014.

1. novaee04

novaee04 New Member

Looking for opinion on whether this is code OK or not. It is inch and a half coming down from a sink, and it goes through this to wye into a 2 inch horizontal drain. Ignore the pitch of the short section, I will make sure that is correct. drain.jpg

Thanks

Sean
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

How about a photo of the trap and vent installation?
  3. Bill Shack

Bill Shack 30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector

Not to code, where is the trap, also you can not use 90 elbows on the flat or from vertical to horizontal.
  4. novaee04

novaee04 New Member

Here is the rest of the stack. After going through the floor, the 1 1/2" goes up to a san tee which will come out through the wall to the trap under a sink

drain2.jpg

Blll,

I do not follow your comment about the 90 elbows. When you say you cannot use them on the flat, or from vertical to horizontal, why not, and what should I do instead?

Thanks

Sean

Attached Files:

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You have two medium bends in the wrong location.

From the wye, continue to the other side of the stud, and work backwards to the lav. You're trying to be too cute there, and you've run out of space.
    Bends on the horizontal need to be 45's and long turns.
    Bends from vertical to horizontal need to be 45's and long turns too.
    The only bend that works there is the horizontal to vertical, which can be medium.
  6. novaee04

novaee04 New Member

Thank you all for the response. I will update and then repost to confirm what i did is OK

Thanks

Sean
  7. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

What? Who's code?
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; What? Who's code?

EVERYONE's, if it is a good code, and not the "anything goes if it is cheaper or easier" code. Even IF this were acceptable, it would be a "bear" to snake those elbows, since it is only 1 1/2" pipe.
  9. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

The horizontal elbow should probably be a long sweep but over that short distance it wouldn't make much difference. It is pretty ugly piping though.
  10. novaee04

novaee04 New Member