Is this disposal plumbed right?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by steveg91, Oct 13, 2009.

1. steveg91

steveg91 New Member

Hi Folks, anything wrong with this installation? Cuz it's missing the 90 coming out of the diposal, is that ok?

Thanks, :)
    Steve

Attached Files:

2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Straight out is not the preferred method, but is acceptable. Your setup is NOT acceptable, because that is not a baffle tee, or at least it does not appear to be, so waste would shoot straight across. If it IS a baffle tee, then it would be OK.
  3. steveg91

steveg91 New Member

Thanks Jimbo, it is a baffle tee. I had to check it too!

The pipe going into the disposal is just cut off and slipped in, should it / can it be different..like a tailpiece?
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

it should have a flange and gasket on it. I don't like that set up even if it is a baffled tee.
  5. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Peter I don't remember the make but that disposal comes with a rubber boot.

John
  6. valpohawkeye

valpohawkeye In the Trades

yes, that should be a tailpiece going into the disposal.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If the connection doesn't leak, I don't think I would lose sleep over it. The gasket may be squeezed just fine. As others mentioned, it is designed for a flanged tail piece, which if nothing else added mechanical strength against pull out.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

It probably IS a tailpiece. Not using the disposer's elbow is the good part of the drain. It is the rest of it that I do not like.
  9. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

What's that duct tape doing on there? Covering electrical connections? Not good.
  10. Herk

Herk Plumber

I don't like center outlet wastes because they are too wobbly. I prefer the end outlet. That said, I don't see anything technically wrong with the setup. And if it doesn't wobble and come loose, bonus!
  11. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

duct tape

He may be a television producer and is used to covering up any brand names or lables that have not paid for the advertising. Therefore he taped over the ISE identification. The electrical connections are on the bottom.
  12. steveg91

steveg91 New Member

Thanks guys, it's not a tailpiece. I'll change it.
    What other type of setup would be better? Is a drawing or picture possible???

Thanks again,
    Steve
  13. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

My house and what I typically see is like this:

[​IMG]
    <thanks for the image SewerRatz>