Is this an S-trap?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ckl111, Nov 9, 2013.

1. ckl111

ckl111 Home Builder

This is the second drain in a month I've seen like this. Is it legal? drain.jpg
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

YES, it's an "S" trap, and NO, it's not legal.
  3. ckl111

ckl111 Home Builder

Assuming that the drain line is properly vented in the wall, is there a problem with a long tailpiece connected to a low p-trap?

I can only guess that it was installed like that for looks but I don't know how it ever passed inspection. This was in a two year old house so I would think it was done by the original "plumber".
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

In that situation, the longer tail piece is the way to go. Raising the p-trap above the vent like that creates a siphon of the trap, leaving it dry.
    The purpose of the trap, is to have a water seal against sewer gas in the home.
    Put the p-trap in-line with the vent, and add more tailpiece.
    Or...cut the wall and raise the santee in the wall.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It could have been done like that to give more room under the sink, or the trap might have hit the shelf.