Is this a heatlhy diet for a cat? Bob's Diet.

Which orange cat is Bob on Post 11?

• Orange cat on left

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Orange cat on right

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
My girlfriend stayed a couple days with me and couldn't believe my cat's diet. He is 24 years old and loves people food. I journaled his diet for one day:

At 2 am, I made him a scrambled egg with cheese & pimentos, some sea salt & black pepper. On the side he had cottage cheese & peaches.

He was hungry again by 9 am, so, I made him french toast with a Vermont syrup and on the side some blueberry yogurt.

Lunch time he was back in the kitchen, I made him a burger, and baked beans with brown sugar. On the side he had a pickle.

Dinner time came and so did he. For dinner he had Moo Goo Gai Pan which he loves and a crunched up fortune cookie, and the olive from my martini.

For desert later he had some french vanilla icecream. He loves it.

In the evening, he had some cat crunchies, and, some warm milk. He gets this before bed, as it helps him sleep.

Now, this has been his diet more or less for 24 years, he doesn't really enjoy or like cat food out of the can, but he loves Tuna.

My girlfriend got a kick out of him because he eats anything but, he really has his likes. Like in our region we have a chipped ham called Isaly's. He knows the difference between, that kind and anyother; I asked the man behind the deli how he knows this. It is salt and fat content in the Islays'. This man is so nice, because I walk up and he says, " How's Bob?" and, gets his Isaly chipped ham. :)

Is this a nice diet for Bob? He is very happy & healthy, and robust.

Cookie

Reaction score
Bob is alittle under the weather. He has a cough. His apppetite is down, too. I made him when I came home tonight, alittle soft cat food, Thomas and Bob both rejected that. So, I gave Bob some american cheese, he ate very little of it, and his favorite Isaly's chipped ham. He didn't eat that. So, I gave him, some cream style corn. He didn't touch that either, so, I gave him some pastrami and that is sitting. Then, I gave him my olive and he ate the olive. Was he holding out for a martini olive? :) now, he is eating the chipped ham & cheese.

He turns 25 in January, January 7th. He's been drinking for years.

Bob's eyesight has been better, so Thomas, honestly, who came with a note 2 years ago, ( he was a rescue cat) saying, " I got a hernia & I am deaf" has become Bob's very own seeing eyecat. It is amazing to watch. At first, I thought watching this from the sofa, I am just imagining this, but, others, see it. I am going to film this and put it on utube. Thomas leads him around, turns around to see if Bob is back there, like saying, " are you there old man?" and, they walk to the litter box together, the water bowl, the kitchen, and their lounge chair in the livingroom. Thomas is a good cat. I swear at times, we are connected by an invisible leash. He is my baby, I am never quite alone. I open the bathroom door and nearly, kill myself tripping over them. :)

Bob can go up the stairs easy enough I guess, but, going down is painful to watch, he thumps on each one, so, Thomas bring him up for excercise and I carry him down. lol. I won't let him walk down if under the influence of an olive.

Last edited:

aquadood

Reaction score
My girlfriend stayed a couple days with me and couldn't believe my cat's diet. He is 24 years old and loves people food. I journaled his diet for one day:

At 2 am, I made him a scrambled egg with cheese & pimentos, some sea salt & black pepper. On the side he had cottage cheese & peaches.

He was hungry again by 9 am, so, I made him french toast with a Vermont syrup and on the side some blueberry yogurt.

Lunch time he was back in the kitchen, I made him a burger, and baked beans with brown sugar. On the side he had a pickle.

Dinner time came and so did he. For dinner he had Moo Goo Gai Pan which he loves and a crunched up fortune cookie, and the olive from my martini.

For desert later he had some french vanilla icecream. He loves it.

In the evening, he had some cat crunchies, and, some warm milk. He gets this before bed, as it helps him sleep.

Now, this has been his diet more or less for 24 years, he doesn't really enjoy or like cat food out of the can, but he loves Tuna.

My girlfriend got a kick out of him because he eats anything but, he really has his likes. Like in our region we have a chipped ham called Isaly's. He knows the difference between, that kind and anyother; I asked the man behind the deli how he knows this. It is salt and fat content in the Islays'. This man is so nice, because I walk up and he says, " How's Bob?" and, gets his Isaly chipped ham. :)

Is this a nice diet for Bob? He is very happy & healthy, and robust.

To be honest that's quite interesting. I would have to say no on the healthiness of a diet, sugar and salt intake would be the major issues that I see, for the size of an average cat compared to the size of a human Bob may be eating too large of portions.

I suggest if you feel like it, measure the portions and the weight of Bob, compared to yourself and do a ratio to see how much you would be eating if you were fed portions that are proportionate to bobs food.

Say a cat is 15 pounds and a person is 150 pounds.
the person is 10x larger than the cat

The cat eats 3 Ounces of icecream per day, times that by 10 and the person would be eating 30oz of icecream. 1 tub of icecream.

And you can do that for the various foods. I'm not sure how valid it would be though since I've only studied human nutrition for a few years and not animal nutrition at all.

Is that a daily diet or occasional, is there any healthy eating?

Cookie

Reaction score
He only gets a little of anything, Bob is really quite healthy, except his eyes have been better but, you got to remember he is going to be 25 years old. He is a good looking cat, and eats healthy things too like cottage cheese, yogurt, and fish sticks & tuna. But, he can only get tuna once in a while because 10 years ago, a blood test showed he was in kidney failure. I think, maybe, the test was wrong, but, they recommended no tuna or to limit it, because of the protein in it. Bob, really never liked cat food at all except for cat crunchies. He usually, always rejected any or all soft cat food in a can. I don't blame him, I smelled some of it, and it smelled like " horse" to me. I could be wrong, but I read those cans and that stuff doesn't sound healthy or appetizing. We tried it all. Bob is funny, if I buy, Whiska's beef in a gravy, he will lap up the gravy and leave the beef. If I make beef in the oven, he eats the meat. So, something is going on there in that cat food stuff. I have always wondered, and my girlfriend is a Vet, if not eating most cat food has been a blessing to him and why he is this old and still going strong. She said, " could be." I think, in that cat food, it is junk.

YEARS, ago, I bought a can of cat food at a dollar store. This is a true story. I swear on anything holy it is, lol. Well, it showed a picture of a cute cat on the label, but it was written in another language, but, I figured it is cat food, was in the cat food dept so to speak and Bob loved it! But, strangely, Bob started to lose his hair in spots. He was then a youngster. The only thing we did different was to feed him that cat food, so, we stopped and his grew back. I went back and told the store, and they pulled the cans and never bought it again. I asked him for a can of it and at the University I had the language interpreted for me, it was arabic, and I was aghast and shocked, and got mad. It was made from the entrails of other animals, all parts included. This I had fed to Bob. Worse Bob loved it. :( Through the years he developed a better taste for food and I buy nothing, I can't read. I am probably, the only person standing at the cat aisle reading the labels.

For 2 decades too, he has walked on the treadmill with me. Or outside on his leash we would take a walk & enjoy the sunshine.
Aqua, everything about Bob is interesting. I could tell you wonderful stories about him. :)

Last edited:

aquadood

Reaction score
He only gets a little of anything, Bob is really quite healthy, except his eyes have been better but, you got to remember he is going to be 25 years old. He is a good looking cat, and eats healthy things too like cottage cheese, yogurt, and fish sticks & tuna. But, he can only get tuna once in a while because 10 years ago, a blood test showed he was in kidney failure. I think, maybe, the test was wrong, but, they recommended no tuna or to limit it, because of the protein in it. Bob, really never liked cat food at all except for cat crunchies. He usually, always rejected any or all soft cat food in a can. I don't blame him, I smelled some of it, and it smelled like " horse" to me. I could be wrong, but I read those cans and that stuff doesn't sound healthy or appetizing. We tried it all. Bob is funny, if I buy, Whiska's beef in a gravy, he will lap up the gravy and leave the beef. If I make beef in the oven, he eats the meat. So, something is going on there in that cat food stuff. I have always wondered, and my girlfriend is a Vet, if not eating most cat food has been a blessing to him and why he is this old and still going strong. She said, " could be." I think, in that cat food, it is junk.

YEARS, ago, I bought a can of cat food at a dollar store. This is a true story. I swear on anything holy it is, lol. Well, it showed a picture of a cute cat on the label, but it was written in another language, but, I figured it is cat food, was in the cat food dept so to speak and Bob loved it! But, strangely, Bob started to lose his hair in spots. He was then a youngster. The only thing we did different was to feed him that cat food, so, we stopped and his grew back. I went back and told the store, and they pulled the cans and never bought it again. I asked him for a can of it and at the University I had the language interpreted for me, it was arabic, and I was aghast and shocked, and got mad. It was made from the entrails of other animals, all parts included. This I had fed to Bob. Worse Bob loved it. :( Through the years he developed a better taste for food and I buy nothing, I can't read. I am probably, the only person standing at the cat aisle reading the labels.

For 2 decades too, he has walked on the treadmill with me. Or outside on his leash we would take a walk & enjoy the sunshine.
Aqua, everything about Bob is interesting. I could tell you wonderful stories about him. :)

Generally a vegetarian diet is the healthiest. For any animal as the casein in dairy is considered to be a carcinogen and such. And meats contain cholesterol as plants do not.

The funny thing is most canned catfood is made from animal biproducts from manufacturing. Generally food like that is leftovers from when human food is created. The lowest grade of meats that are not USDA certified as prime choice or select are generally unfit for human consumption and they are used in dry dog/cat foods and wet catfoods. I believe the same is done with the grains that are used in the dry pet foods.

Likewise with ground beef, its the whole cow just stuck in a blender the size of a house.

This day in age, everything is filled with all sorts of bad stuff... maybe its better for everything to stop eating!

Cookie

Reaction score
Vegetarian only if the veggies are organic. Now, if you go and buy directly from the supermarket shelf you can pretty much bet you are ingesting some herbicides and pesticides, for sure. I rarely, if ever due to health problems, buy anything not organic, or can't be washed off fairly well. Plus, I got a theory on something. Now, I don't know how correct I am, but, I have observed things through the years on what foods we desire and health problems. My theory is this, if you are craving something, it is your body making a point that something in that food you are craving is actually, a need. Some people will crave chocolates, ask yourself what is all in that chocolate? Really, lots of essential things... Since, I was told I had this illness that is related to the environment I am alittle bit obsessive, lol, :) about chemicals, bug sprays, etc. Bob has been eating organic for years and he is turning 25. He's a great cat. He is sitting next to me on the floor and he "taps" my leg ... tap tap tap, to get petted.

Now, my husband planted me a garden every year and never used anything bad on it. And, my health was never better. I am growing my own tomatoes on the patio, along with spearmint, and chives. Not as good as his, spinach, collard greens, beans, peas, but, it is something better than nothing. I spend forever checking out the produce and half the time, I bet I spend more money on the stuff, and it probably is not oraganic afterall, but, all one can do is try.

Tonite, Bob had cube steak, cottage cheese, mushrooms made in olive oil, and a spoonful of Moose Tracks, minus the tracks... no chocolate for Bob...

aquadood

Reaction score
Vegetarian only if the veggies are organic. Now, if you go and buy directly from the supermarket shelf you can pretty much bet you are ingesting some herbicides and pesticides, for sure. I rarely, if ever due to health problems, buy anything not organic, or can't be washed off fairly well. Plus, I got a theory on something. Now, I don't know how correct I am, but, I have observed things through the years on what foods we desire and health problems. My theory is this, if you are craving something, it is your body making a point that something in that food you are craving is actually, a need. Some people will crave chocolates, ask yourself what is all in that chocolate? Really, lots of essential things... Since, I was told I had this illness that is related to the environment I am alittle bit obsessive, lol, :) about chemicals, bug sprays, etc. Bob has been eating organic for years and he is turning 25. He's a great cat. He is sitting next to me on the floor and he "taps" my leg ... tap tap tap, to get petted.

Now, my husband planted me a garden every year and never used anything bad on it. And, my health was never better. I am growing my own tomatoes on the patio, along with spearmint, and chives. Not as good as his, spinach, collard greens, beans, peas, but, it is something better than nothing. I spend forever checking out the produce and half the time, I bet I spend more money on the stuff, and it probably is not oraganic afterall, but, all one can do is try.

Tonite, Bob had cube steak, cottage cheese, mushrooms made in olive oil, and a spoonful of Moose Tracks, minus the tracks... no chocolate for Bob...

Yummy, a spoonful of moose!

I agree with always trying to get organic, but they are difficult to find for a decent price, I believe now even the farmers markets are starting to get away from organics and they are using fertilizers and pesticides to help yield.

I have a friend growing a patio garden too, and she did a test with one tomato plant organic and another with fertilizer and for some odd reason the organic plant grew faster and larger.

I did a report a few months ago on sugar, our bodies crave anything that contain sugar because a loooong time ago sweet substances represent high amounts of energy such as fruit or honey. It used to be rare to find sweet stuff back when we were cave people but now its abundant and we still crave it the same amount.

And organic meat, I dont think that even exists anymore. Pastured animals with no hormones and no antibiotics.

Cookie

Reaction score
I read an article about a month ago, where Whole Foods and I can't remember the other places, only sell Chicken and meat without the hormones or antibotics. Whole Foods is a bit higher in price but, they got for the most part the organics.

What is odd about honey is it shouldn't be given to infants or those on chemos should not use it because of something in it. I don't use sugar in much of anything, but, my son uses sugar and I get upset when he uses equal or others substitutes, I tell him for the small amount he uses in coffee to use the real deal, not the kinds that causes illness. Your report can anyone read it? I write articles for the American Heart Association magazine, and for the wellness columns for our supermarket, Giant Eagle.

I found that if your neighbors have a lawn care service, so do you. It depends on the slope of the property but, if they use chemicals on their lawn to keep down what they think are weeds, ( I love dandelions) or bugs, the residue will wash down onto your property easily. A friend who is a radiologist by trade had started to develop a white substance in his basement. After a rain, water would come into his basement. Well, he tested that dried residue and it was the stuff they use by lawn services, weed killer, etc. He did sell his house.

I guess the only way so far to know for sure about true organic meat is to either raise your own. lol. And, then, for me, I would have 500 cows which all became pets and had names, and personalities, and, no way could I ever eat them. :) There is no win in my life, only true acceptance of facts. If the raccons leave my patio tomatoes alone, they grow quite well, without being given anything but water. I have the healthiest looking raccoons around.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
To be honest that's quite interesting.
The cat eats 3 Ounces of icecream per day, times that by 10 and the person would be eating 30oz of icecream. 1 tub of icecream.

I would bet Cookie can eat 30oz at a setting, with no problem.

I do not know how she keeps that slim trim figure.

Must be from chasing the cats that bounce off of the wall.

Nice job Cookie...

Cookie

Reaction score
Depends on what kind of ice cream. NAUGHT! LOL... I haven't met an icecream I do not like. But, my favorite is french vanilla. But, I am partial to McDonalds cones, now they come with dipped chocolate. so, good...

Poor little Thomas, ( tom tom) is hiding out. We got a huge storm here, bad lightening, big thunder. I don't think, he can hear it, but, feel it, when it BOOMS! It is shaking the house. Bob, has got so many storms under his belt, he doesn't care, he just wants fed. We didn't eat yet, I just got in, and, I stopped and got, um, donuts, LOL, and, they are chocolate, so I can't share with Bob. But, in when the storm calms down a bit, I will go cook.

Bob, is a slow-walker, now his counterpart is fast and furious. He zips through these rooms and once, did bang into something and sat shaking his head. He is like I tell him a fast runner, a high jumper and he smells good.

And, he eats mostly, if not all, cat food, he is not big on people food. I have taken Tom Tom to visit sick kids, it cheers them up.

I have done alot of short stores in Parents Magazine over the years about Bob. I have been working on a series of children's stories, about him, about Walking Crow, Popcorn, and, of course the new love of my life, Thomas. These cats are something else. I have this other theory, lol, ( I got lots) that anyone is ever depressed or sad, should get a cat. They make your heart smile. My other theory, lol, is that those people who hoard animals, do so, because they are very depressed and it is hard to function at times, so, they try in keeping cats & dogs, thinking, it will make theirselves better. So, all you need is one or two, to feel the joy they do bring.

Bob I think, actually, saved my life once. Waaaay back in 98. I owe him whatever, he wants to eat. :)

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I bet that went over like a lead balloon.

Cats will eat grass when they are sick and then will get sicker.

A dog will eat anything, but a cat, not so much.

A cat wants meat or something that is moving.

You need to buy them some mice if you are fresh out.

Cookie

Reaction score
No rodent breath allowed. :)

Usually, I grow my own, but, I have been too busy at times to care for anything much. Bob, loves grass, he knows what it is, they both loved it. My husband used to grow it like crazy for him, he would actually, rotate his pots for him, like rotating his crops, and plant new, this went on all summer for Bob. They were buds. Tomorrow, I decided to get them a pot of catnip.

That is their play corner. :) nothing fancy, an Aldi box, a cat house with stuff hanging off of it, a beat up nintendo chair, and a half of dozen of FAKE mice, lol. They have fun, and like kids, it keeps them out of my stuff and trouble.

Just curious, which one do you think is Robert? Now remember, Bob is going to be 25 & is ageless, and Thomas is a whippersnapper, & alittle over 2. Can you tell?

Do you see how all my colors match? I stained the floors to match the cats. There is a deer in there too, can you find him? :)

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I will guess and say Bob is the smaller one and Thomas is bigger.

My cats eat WM cat food and within a year they are giant.

Not many snakes or mice to be found in my back woods.

Every now and then I will have a present delivered to the door mat. It is a snake, mouse or bird most of the time.

Sometimes they get lucky and get a squirrel. When they are not so lucky a skunk may spray them. Skunks like cat food too.

Cookie

Reaction score
Okay, no takers on the survey, or I didn't do the survey right, but, either way, Bob is on the right. I think he looks good for age. :) They may look like they were not enjoying the green salad but, they really did. They are so funny. Skunks are cool. :) now snakes...

Yep, it is working, lol. I voted!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I vote for the one on the left.
And after reading this, I had to fix myself some food. Or someone die. I went down to Denny's and got their Ultimate Omelet.
Coffee was okay, but afterwards hit up Starbucks for a Caramel Latte.

Cookie

Reaction score
ha ha ha ha, Terry! lol... I voted for the orange cat on the right, that is Bob, :)
That is too funny, you got me laughing and hurting myself. Reason, being... is, well, at least this time, I don't think I broke anything, but, I had an accident, and it hurts too laugh, breathe, walk, stand, run, pretty much anything. But, I am determined not to go back to the ER, those folks are getting to know me too well lately. This should be interesting to hear what I did... At Petco, on the second shelf was the kitty litter I wanted. It was a clumping kitty litter, 16 pounds of it. Well, I am like, The Little Ant that Could...

( this is me with my kitty litter)

But, I didn't. :) It came tumbling down on me, right on my chest. I yelped. Then, this guy came along and scooped up two of the 27 pound containers of the clumping kitty litter, and then, I thought, that might be a better deal. So, I yanked the fallen one out of the cart and put one of the 27 pounders on the bottom of the cart, where it promptly very promptly, without any warning, rolled off onto the top of both of my feet. Again, I yelped.

Then, I get halfway into the other part of the store, and I spied, more kitty litter, that kind you fill up yourself after you buy one of there's. Now, that seemed like a better deal. The clumping kind, 16 pounds. I figured, I might have a hard time with the 27 pounder carrying it into the house. So, I bought one of their brand for 6.39, and you can take it back for a refill for a buck less.

I get up front, tell the lady I don't want this one, ( the 27 pounder) but, that one. She takes it out of the cart and the cart rolls... right onto my feet. Up and over. By now, I am feeling no pain, just numb head to toe.

I still went to work the next morning, and put in 10 hours. I worked for that kitty litter. :) I am cheap.

I got an icecream cone. :) What did you get to eat so no one died? lol. Oh, wait, you had Dennys, lol. It's the pain meds.

* One co-worker asked, " what's with the shoes? You never wear shoes like that." I said, " it's the only pair that fit my feet today, they are swollen." Being the observant and nebby friend she is, she then asked, " you look different today, busty, are you wearing a push-UP?" I said, " NO, they are swollen, too", and I dragged my sore swollen bruised body away.

I don't know what was wrong with these shoes & socks today. Great office wear.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonL

Reaction score
Okay, no takers on the survey, or I didn't do the survey right, but, either way, Bob is on the right. I think he looks good for age. :) They may look like they were not enjoying the green salad but, they really did. They are so funny. Skunks are cool. :) now snakes...

Yep, it is working, lol. I voted!

I was thinking Bob was the one on the right.

Thomas is bigger it looks like.

And Bob has wrinkles on his ears.

Cookie

Reaction score
That is funny, wrinkles on his ears. I like that.

Thomas is smaller, that is why I actually posted that pic because everyone would had picked him thinking, he was Bob due to the image which for some unknown reason makes him look huge, lol. I will post a pic later if you want to see, what I am tallking about, he is really quite small, a really small full-grown cat. He is very loveable, loves to he loved & held. Bob, well... he will rip your eyes out if you only look at him wrong. He is not a people person, only likes people food.

It is cooler today. But, I am glad, I had a best girlfriend, fall over with heat stroke a month ago, and hit her head on a curb and now has brain damage. They had to operate on her to reduce the swelling, my heart is breaking into pieces, I saw her yesterday, and, it is terrible. The heat this year, the humidity, has been awful. I am very worried about her. I felt so bad for her husband and son. I have a friend, who tells me over and over for years, every summer, to drink alot of water, which I do, but, he worries about me, he knows, me, all too well, I guess. But, when I saw my girlfriend yesterday, my heart broke. She knew it was me, but, so little communication, and, what did she ask me about? Thomas. She wanted to see and hold him. So, today, I took Thomas down to see her.

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, I spoke too soon. The heat is back. My girlfriend and I are going to open up a Kitty Ranch someday, when we retire. We have a private joke about it. :) She takes care of so many feral cats, she gets them fixed and finds them homes. In 2 years, we counted over 150 which we fixed and placed, in homes that only, have a couple other cats. No animal hoarders. She loves Thomas, and, maybe, when she gets better, I will give her Thomas. We'll see, I will try. Here is a better picture of them. He still looks big, lol. They both do, I think, the sun plumped them up. :)

Now which one is Bob? The right or the left?

If anyone caught my other pic not of the cats, that was a mistake, and one of the commerical buildings I had to take pics of for inspection.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks