Is this a drain? (above water softner loop)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by RobHydell, Oct 21, 2012.

1. RobHydell

RobHydell New Member

I want to add a water softener and don't want to make assumptions. Is this a drain that I can use for the softener's backwash? Thanks in advance for the help.

The inlet and outlet at the bottom of the picture go to my whole house water filter.

Drain Pipe.jpg
  2. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

looks like a drain for a W/M standpipe.
  3. Brokersdad

Brokersdad New Member

Think i'd take the end off of it and go to other areas of the house and run some water to see if you can hear it passing by the pipe to make sure it was in fact some type of drain. Who knows what people do when building
  4. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

You don't want to make assumptions ... so you get on the internet and ask folks who can't possibly know even as
    much as you about that pipe, and ask THEM to make assumptions ... ?
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

This place was plumbed by a handyman. All of that PVC pipe is a dead give away. So, there's no way to tell by looking. You may have to open the wall to figure it out.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Pour some water into the pipe and see what happens. You have a catastrophe in the making with that PVC piping inside the house.
  7. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

But the guy at Home Depot said that it was the best stuff to use :cool:
  8. RobHydell

RobHydell New Member

Thanks for the information.
  9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

PVC piping can't be used inside the home. That should be removed and replaced with CPVC or PEX
    PVC is only rated for use underground where the temperatures can remain cooler and constant. Using PVC for domestic hot water is a real NO-NO.
  10. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

Just guessing, but the pipe in question could also be a "cleanout".
  11. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

LOL... so true. I assume it is a combustion air supply.
  12. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

it could be, but the configuration is all wrong for a cleanout, especially since it does not appear to have a removable cap or plug. If it were a washing machine drain, then where are the hot and cold water supplies a WM would need.