Is this a discharge / drain line?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by MaxPower, Aug 6, 2011.

1. MaxPower

MaxPower New Member

Hello,

I am installing an RO system. The instructions suggest drilling a hole into the drain and running the drain tube into the drain pipe. The house was built about 3 years ago; there is a garbage disposal.

However, I noticed this blue pipe and am thinking this is a discharge line for RO systems. Rather than drill the hole into the drain pipe, and hear the water trickle, I can just attach the drain tube into the discharge line?

I can't think what else this can be, other than some type of venting pipe?

The pipe is on the left of the cold water supply.

Thanks for any help...
    Max

Attached Files:

2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

I don't think I would use it not knowing what it's for or where it's going. You should have a fitting with the RO unit that clamps onto the tubular waste pipe for the sink, that requires you to drill a hole in the line. Just be sure you do it on the sink side of the trap.

John
  3. MaxPower

MaxPower New Member

thanks john for the response...I agree. The RO system did come with a clamp fitting, but I might check with the neighbors to see how they plumbed their RO, since all the condos were built by the same builder. I'm not sure why there would be an errant pipe sticking out of the sink system....
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The usual reason would be that it is an alternate supply line for your refrigerator ice maker, which would have to be connected TO the R/O water line AND the icemaker to use it. You can be absolutely POSITIVE that it is NOT an R/O drain connection, and if you use it for one, you will probably find water flooding from under the refrigerator or somewhere. If you drill the hole in the correct locatation, the sound of water will be minor.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011