Is this a discharge / drain line?

Users who are viewing this thread

MaxPower

Reaction score
Hello,

I am installing an RO system. The instructions suggest drilling a hole into the drain and running the drain tube into the drain pipe. The house was built about 3 years ago; there is a garbage disposal.

However, I noticed this blue pipe and am thinking this is a discharge line for RO systems. Rather than drill the hole into the drain pipe, and hear the water trickle, I can just attach the drain tube into the discharge line?

I can't think what else this can be, other than some type of venting pipe?

The pipe is on the left of the cold water supply.

Thanks for any help...
Max

Attachments

• blue pipe drain.JPG
    blue pipe drain.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 344

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I don't think I would use it not knowing what it's for or where it's going. You should have a fitting with the RO unit that clamps onto the tubular waste pipe for the sink, that requires you to drill a hole in the line. Just be sure you do it on the sink side of the trap.

John

MaxPower

Reaction score
thanks john for the response...I agree. The RO system did come with a clamp fitting, but I might check with the neighbors to see how they plumbed their RO, since all the condos were built by the same builder. I'm not sure why there would be an errant pipe sticking out of the sink system....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The usual reason would be that it is an alternate supply line for your refrigerator ice maker, which would have to be connected TO the R/O water line AND the icemaker to use it. You can be absolutely POSITIVE that it is NOT an R/O drain connection, and if you use it for one, you will probably find water flooding from under the refrigerator or somewhere. If you drill the hole in the correct locatation, the sound of water will be minor.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks