Is this a check valve installed on my WH return line???

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Handiman, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Handiman

Handiman New Member

Hello, I'm trying to figure out if I need the check valve already installed on my recirculating pump or not. I can't tell if this (pic) is actually a check valve already installed on my WH return line right above the recirculating pump. If it is, I guess I can remove the check valve that is built in to my recirculating pump.

Here is the pic: Is this a check valve on the water heater return line?

[​IMG]
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I don't know, one of the pros probably will know. But, two check valves, as long as they are both installed for flow the same direction won't hurt things, so I probably wouldn't remove one now that it is together.
  3. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

That is a check valve. I would not remove it unless I knew for sure what is's there for. Depending on how the piping is run it can have two.
  4. Handiman

Handiman New Member

Thanks. It was installed on the return line for the WH, right above the recirculating pump. I'm assuming it must be for the recirculating pump, so I'm thinking I might as well remove the little cheap plastic check valve that is installed in my new recirculating pump.
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

My Laird recirculating system requires a check valve. I can't speak for other brands.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is a check valve, but it could also be a "defective check valve" depending on how old it is. It could have a gate that is either stuck open or closed, or the gate could have worn out and is just lying inside the valve. There is no way to tell other than to open the top, or take the valve out and shake it to see if it still moves.