Is this a ceramic or a compression valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Josh2517

Reaction score
Hi,
I am replacing the 3 handle shower trim in my main bathroom. I don't know how to determine which type of valve my handles have behind them. Is anyone able to identify this type of valve just by looking at it? If not, do I need to take it apart to figure it out?
Thanks,
Josh

Attachments

• IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 141

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you need to take it apart. Lay it next to a ruler and take an in focus picture of the stem next to the ruler and an up close, straight on, infocus picture of both ends .

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
I may have to rethink my opinion. If you have to turn the handle multiple turns to open and close it is a compression. If you turn the handle 1/2 turn to open and close it is a cartridge type.
Why do you need to know the type to replace the trim.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For some very common valves, there are generic replacements, but some may require OEM ones, if still available, and you may find nothing available will fit.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a Pfister 1/4 turn ceramic stem. Call 1-800-PFAUCET and they will send you replacements. it looks like you have round handles so you can use the new stems just they way they are, otherwise you would have to invert the white plastic piece to change the rotation for one of the stems to use lever handles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks