Is thermostatic (anti scald) valve required by code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Silversurfer7

Reaction score
Curious if, per code, a thermostatic (anti scalding) valve is always required in a new shower install.....or shower remodel?

Wondering if just two, volume control only, valves - prior to TEE up to shower head is OK?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Either a pressure balance or a thermostatic valve (which often has a pressure balance circuit as well) is required on new construction and remodels that need permits in the US. They do make some of these as separate items from the valves I've heard. The idea is to prevent scalding if there is a change in water flow (pressure) caused by something like somebody flushing the toilet.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
I've installed these (code-compliance jobs) where a two handled shower valve is required for aesthetics or customer preference.

temperavalve.GIF

http://www.pppinc.net/tv.htm

While that product does not limit outlet temperature, is does provide pressure balancing.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Delta and others make an anti-scald valve with separate (concentric) volume and temp controls. There area also quite a few models available which present a 2 handle appearance, but one handle is on/off and the other is temp.

Silversurfer7

Reaction score
That's Brilliant dubldare!

Thought there might be a product similar to the Tempera valve out there, just wasn't sure where to look. Many thanks for helping me out, yet again!

Didn't see a purchase option on the, graciously provided, PPPinc.net web site. Wondering if I can buy a Tempera valve at Home Depot, Loews or some place similar to them?

Thanks again,

Silver

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks