Is there a plumbing equivalent to Richter's "Practical Electrical Wiring" book?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jadziedzic, May 5, 2010.

1. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

Is there a plumbing equivalent to Richter's "Practical Electrical Wiring" book? The selection of plumbing books in the local big box stores in my area is limited - the Sunset and Black & Decker varieties that describe how to replace a washer, etc. is all I have to choose from. I'm not considering a career as a plumber, but I would like to ensure my DIY plumbing adventures are safe and to code.

Thanks,
    Tony
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I am not sure what you are trying to "learn" about. An electrical book may just have to show you what to do at either end of a wire, while a plumbing book would have to show how to start and end a pipe, how to do it, but ALSO what has to happen between the two ends, and there are innumberable ways those requirements could be accomplished. If you are just interested in repairs, that can also be daunting if you intend to be comprehensive, because there are almost as many ways to disassemble a faucet or drain, as there are faucets.
  3. asktom

asktom Member

Codes vary depending on your location so there is no one book. If the codes in your area are based on the UPC (generally western states) then I would recommend UNIFORM PLUMBING CODE ILLUSTRATED TRAINING MANUAL from the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials. It ain't cheap and covers stuff you will never do, but it is clear. Even if your local code is based on the UPC, there may be variations in your specific location (or specific inspector), but if you follow what is shown your work will be safe and will work. If you are not under the UPC perhaps someone else can make a suggestion appropriate to your area.
  4. DavidTu

DavidTu Member

5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I don't share your enthusiasm for books by Rex Cauldwell....
    Click Here and See Why
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

As long as you can get someone to pay you for writing a book, you do not have to know ANYTHING about the subject.
  7. DavidTu

DavidTu Member

In case anyone is still interested... I posted a reply to the thread referenced above by Redwood as I re-read the relevant section in Cauldwell's book and found he explained some of the items taken issue with therein (this refers to the plumbing book / article... not the electrical book in the original post). I don't know if that will change any opinions on Cauldwell... but I figured fair is fair.