Is there a plumbers dye?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DIYourselfer, Oct 26, 2010.

1. DIYourselfer

DIYourselfer New Member

Trying to find a leak in bathroom. Is there a dye that the pros use that won't stain a tub? If I use a dye in the tub water then I will know when I see the dyed water on the unfinished ceiling below that it is probably the drain, not the pipes or mixing valve.

Thanks!!!
  2. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

Food colouring will do fine.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If the leak stops, then it is NOT the pipes. There are easier ways to isolate whether it is the valve or drain, and a plumber would know how to do it.
  4. SacCity

SacCity In the Trades

To check for leaks in toilets, specifically flapper valves I generally use food coloring.
    I would be hesitant to use dies in other locations.
    Michael
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

I remember many years ago, the septic field police were going around to homes and flushing a packet of dye down the toilet. Then they would walk around the property looking for the dye to break to the surface or enter a stream.
  6. SacCity

SacCity In the Trades

Marina's do the same thing with boats, throw a die packet into the holding tank so they can fine anyone who pumps overboard!
  7. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!