Is the diverter in a tub MV same as for shower?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by CountryBumkin, Sep 4, 2009.

1. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin New Member

I am remodeling a shower and want to install both rain head and a handheld shower head. I saw some nice MV fixtures at Lowes (Mohen and Delta) that have the single on/off water/temperature control valve with a smaller diverter valve in the center for controlling/diverting the water to a tub facuet or shower head.

Is this type of diverter okay to use for selecting water between a rain head or handheld shower head? Or do i need a special shower-stall-only diverter valve for non-tub applications?

thanks, Mike
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

A shower valve is different from a Tub & Shower valve in that it doesn't have an outlet for a tub spout.

For showers that have both a shower head and hand held you can get a diverter that attatches to the shower arm and you switch between the 2 with it...

You could retro fit a tub / shower valve to work with a hand held but most are connected at the shower arm with a diverter there...
  3. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin New Member

Thanks for the quick reply and explaination. Since I'm doing a remodel and will be repalcing the multi-valve, I'll make sure I get the right type of diverter. I'll start looking on the fauct makers websites.
    I believe Moen is a good brand. I'm not sure if Delta is considered cheap or if they have good products too (higher-end line). Can you recommend some manufacturers of shower valves?
    thanks.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valves

"good" and "cheap" are in the eyes of the beholder. I consider the Moen valves cheap and the Delta valves good, but other plumbers are exactly opposite. And in some situations, I would not use either.