Is Softened Water Safe to Drink?

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by AliceCooper, Apr 26, 2011.

1. AliceCooper

AliceCooper New Member

So been reading this water softener FAQ and it says that in general softened water is safe to drink. But I'm still a little unsure.

If all it does is add salt to the water, I guess that makes sense that it'd be OK.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
  2. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

No softener adds salt to the water.

They add sodium or potassium based on the type of salt is used for regeneration. The chloride goes to drain with most of the sodium or potassium.
  4. AliceCooper

AliceCooper New Member

Thank you for the help! It is much appreciated. :)

I've been doing some research, and I do have another question, if that's allright - what about magnetic water softeners? Do they actually do anything?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
  5. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Magnetic Water Conditioners do work, on a large scale for some very expensive systems,

But not the ones you buy for a home. They are a joke.

You will get a lot of people laughing, again, on this forum.

Have a great day.

DonL
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Using "salt/sodium chloride" in a softener is only a problem for people on a low sodium diet, and they can convert to potassium chloride to avoid that problem, or, as is done in most cases, install a reverse osmosis system for drinking water.
  7. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

The formula for added sodium is 7.85 mg/l (about a quart) of softened water per grain per gallon of compensated hardness. I.E 20 gpg * 7.85 = 157 mg of sodium, not salt. For potassium it is something like 9 mg per grain/gallon. And, too much potassium can kill you quickly.
  8. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Yes, they deplete your bank account.
  9. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member

10. jsarin1

jsarin1 New Member

11. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

That filter is nice , but not cheap.

Properly Softened water is safe to drink.

DonL
  12. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There are no "sodium particles" the sodium is attached to the molecules in the water.