Is sharing a single vent acceptable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dkrasko

Reaction score
I'm meeting with my plumber to go over his plans for my drainage and venting system. It is all new plumbing. The building is two story, 3 bath. One downstairs bath, two directly above back to back. I also have a downstairs kitchen and laundry. I understand there are min. vent pipe sizes for each fixture. In a perfect world, I'd love to have one vent in the roof. I've seen diagrams where all the vents tie back into a central main vent. Is this still practiced?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As long as the total size of the vents is proper, you can probably tie them all into one...the more you add, the larger it must be, and could become impratical. It may not be possible in the space available, though. The vent must have slope so any condensation, rain, etc., won't accumulate, and there is a restriction on the horizontal component verses the vertical part, so depending on the distances, it may not be practical. But, it sounds like things are stacked, so yes, combining for one roof pentration would probably work as long as it is sized properly.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vents

There is no problem with it as long as the pipe sizes are proper. The practicality of it comes in when they are so far removed, one from the other, that the work and material for combining them becomes less economical than exiting them individually.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks