Is my watersoftener broken?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ntangen2

Reaction score
I should preface this with the fact that I know very little about water softeners. Our water softener started leaking a few months ago, the pipe had a lot of build up on it causing the leak, it was not from the actual softener. We had someone come clean the fittings and the leak was fixed, ever since then it seems like the water softener hasn't been working. We can mess with it and get it to turn on and it works for a couple hours but then it stops (yes, there is salt in it). We have been contemplating just getting a new one, the current water softener has power to it, the screen displays the time and salt level in the unit it just doesn't ever turn on it's self. Is it time for a new one? Or are we just doing something wrong? Could it be something in the settings we need to fix? The model of the water softener is 625.388250 it is a Kenmore brand, I have no idea how old it is, we have only been in the house for 2 years, the house itself is 14 years and we did have to replace the water heater so chances are this could be just as old. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Replace with a good unit. I am not into throwing things away but the big box stores are typically built to be thrown away when they break. I would not recommend wasting money repairing it. Are you n a municipal water supply or do you have your own well?

Ntangen2

Reaction score
Replace with a good unit. I am not into throwing things away but the big box stores are typically built to be thrown away when they break. I would not recommend wasting money repairing it. Are you n a municipal water supply or do you have your own well?
We are on municipal water, and it is very hard water

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks