Is my water filter housing prone to cracking?

Users who are viewing this thread

WilburMcG

Reaction score
I installed this American Plumber brand whole house water filter about 18 months ago to trap sediment (I'm on a 120-family community well system). It has the clear styrene acrylonitrile filter housing which I like because I can see the filter and collected sediment.

Are the clear housings more susceptible to cracking at the top? I know they also make an opaque polypropylene housing and have been told they are less brittle. I'm wondering if I should install the polypropylene housing?

WC34-PR-lo-1.jpg

Any advice on the right filter cartridge to use? I usually use a W20CLA pleated cellulose filter rated for 20 microns, which I have replaced at 4 month intervals even though I didn't notice any water slowness. Frankly I was surprised they lasted that long as I thought our water was pretty silty and iron-stained. Recently I switched to a Whirlpool WHKF-WHWC which has carbon and rated for 2 microns. I'm not sure how long it will last and jury is still out if it improves the water taste. Cost difference is negligible to me. Just curious what a more knowledgeable person would recommend I use as I don't know much about this.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
If the housings are compatible, you might consider having that polypropylene housing standing by. Is there an O-ring? You should have a spare. You should lube your O-ring with plumbing silicone grease whenever you go into the housing.

Regarding the filter element, you should not use cellulose elements unless the water is chlorinated or equivalent.

I am not a very knowledgeable person person on filters, but I have read some.

WilburMcG

Reaction score
Thank you! My water is chlorinated, but good tip on the o-ring and grease.

I may consider having the poly housing on standby although my bigger fear is a catastrophic failure from a crack and I get flooding inside the house while I am not home. I don't know if that is a legitimate concern for the clear housing or not but have seen it mentioned.

WilburMcG

Reaction score
Hmmm, unsettling. That one plumber suggested failures were due to UV exposure over time which weakens the clear housing. At least mine is behind a louvered door in a dark closet.

A plumber actually installed it and discarded the packaging so I don't know what, if any, disclaimer the manufacturer may have stated. The vendor website does not list any disclaimers on their website for my specific model WC34-PR...

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
We see hundreds of these a year, no one has ever reported that they had an issue with clear housings.

I would caution you against over tightening the housing, there is a possibility that an over tight housing plus the system pressure could crack the housing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks