Is My Shower Cock Stop Leaking ? Can I Change The Ceramic Cartridge ??

Users who are viewing this thread

terrylove_novice

Reaction score
i can't tell if my shower tap (cock stop) is leaking or not ...........after showering, the shower head will drip fast for 2 hours, then drip slowly after that...........i put a bucket under the shower head to collect the water.......but even after 24 hours - not that much water was collected (most of the water collected was in the first 2 hours)...............

i'm wondering if the leaked water is from the water pipe between the stopcock and the water heater and forced by air pressure through the shower hose and drip from the shower head ?? .............i changed the shower stopcock 3 and 2 other cheaper taps (all same brand) at the same time 3 years ago but the 2 cheaper taps are not leaking .........

this is the said leaking stopcock (please see pic in below link)..........can i remove the handle and change the ceramic cartridge ??.........

Showy stop cock (Shopee).png

GReynolds929

Reaction score
i can't tell if my shower tap (cock stop) is leaking or not ...........after showering, the shower head will drip fast for 2 hours, then drip slowly after that...........i put a bucket under the shower head to collect the water.......but even after 24 hours - not that much water was collected (most of the water collected was in the first 2 hours)...............

i'm wondering if the leaked water is from the water pipe between the stopcock and the water heater and forced by air pressure through the shower hose and drip from the shower head ?? .............i changed the shower stopcock 3 and 2 other cheaper taps (all same brand) at the same time 3 years ago but the 2 cheaper taps are not leaking .........

this is the said leaking stopcock (please see pic in below link)..........can i remove the handle and change the ceramic cartridge ??.........

View attachment 96763
If there is a ceramic cartridge in there and you have a replacement, then I would say you should be able to remove the handle and replace the cartridge. I have no experience with that type of faucet.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
An easy test to know if the water that leaks out after the valve has been turned off is to remove the shower head itself and press your thumb over the end of the outlet pipe. If it builds up pressure, then the cartridge needs to be replaced. If it doesn't build up pressure, then its likely just residual water that drains out slowly.

Some showers have hoses between the shutoff and the outlets. Those hoses can expand and hold a small amount of pressure that the shower head with its restrictor is holding back. So the fast flowing water after shutoff could be that expansion being released.

terrylove_novice

Reaction score
An easy test to know if the water that leaks out after the valve has been turned off is to remove the shower head itself and press your thumb over the end of the outlet pipe. If it builds up pressure, then the cartridge needs to be replaced. If it doesn't build up pressure, then its likely just residual water that drains out slowly.

Some showers have hoses between the shutoff and the outlets. Those hoses can expand and hold a small amount of pressure that the shower head with its restrictor is holding back. So the fast flowing water after shutoff could be that expansion being released.

many thanks indeed..............:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks