Is my Laundry room drain relocation to Code in Alberta?

Users who are viewing this thread

Supracar865

Reaction score
IMG_0001.jpgView attachment 18044View attachment 18043I am planning to move my existing washing machine stack to a different wall, and adding a drain for a utility sink. on my existing layout is the T with a seperate threaded cap my clean out?

I plan to cut both T's out of my vent pipe, and add 2 new ones. The one for the washing machine will need a 45* bend in it to run down the other wall 6 feet. and a second one for a utility sink.

Any addition info you can give me on pitch of my drains,required heights, lengths or clean outs would be great!

Existing picture on the left , new layout on the right.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Swapping would be better, and then adding a vent for the washer trap arm, and then reventing the two vents at 42" makes it legal anywhere.

Supracar865

Reaction score
Your help is greatly appreciated Terry. If I follow you correctly, you are saying to add a "T" before the Washer trap, and run a vent up, and back over to my existing vent and tapping into it with another T connection? I am unclear as to where this 42" measurement applies to.

Thanks again!

Supracar865

Reaction score
Judging from that picture, i am assuming the 42" is the minimum above the washer trap arm that the vent must connect? And that a trap will be connected after drywall for the sink?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In plumbing, 42" is a good number to tie the vents together. It puts you 6" above a 36" kitchen cabinet and sink.
They want six inches above the "flood level" of the fixtures for connecting the vents.

The picture above was a rough-in before drywall. The p-trap gets installed at "Trim".

Last edited:

Supracar865

Reaction score
Im confused so that is the height where the vent needs to attach or is that a measurement for the washer stack height?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Vents must be vertical until six inches above the flood level of the fixtures served. Otherwise, in a sewer backup, the vents can flood.

dwv_b2.jpg

Supracar865

Reaction score
This picture and your explaination make a lot of sense. I plan to copy your first picture post. I do have one last question though, since my trap arm will be about 5 feet should i place the vent T right after my washer trap then up the wall 42" and then back down the wall to my existing vent?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 2" trap arm can go 60" (five feet) before the vent. So anywhere in that distance would be fine for the vent.

I would keep the two vents close and then 90 around the corner for the washer, if that still keeps in within the five foot range.

Supracar865

Reaction score
well ive got it pieced together without glue an strapping for now

- 1/4" drop per foot on washer arm
-trap 5' from its vent
-vent connection well above 42" from floor
-washer "T" connection below future sink "T"
-clean out on bottom
-I will strap every stud

What do you think
IMG_0066.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The santee on the far right on the re-vent should be flipped the other way.
The picture is a bit fuzzy, I'm not sure the other tees are the right way either.
Some codes allow a horizontal santee on the traparm, some like UPC want a combo or wye fitting.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
well ive got it pieced together without glue an strapping for now

- 1/4" drop per foot on washer arm
-trap 5' from its vent
-vent connection well above 42" from floor
-washer "T" connection below future sink "T"
-clean out on bottom
-I will strap every stud

What do you think

ABS piping CANNOT be dry fit together, it doesn't fit the same with vs. without solvent cement.

The sanitary tee where your vent ties in above should be flipped.

The rest is a little too hard to make out.

Supracar865

Reaction score
Here is a better picture of the re-vent on the washer arm. my thinking was that the air would be on top and easily flow upwards this way? Can you clairify with this better picture?
The other "t's" on the stack are regular T's with no sloping part. Im assuming the sloped part in the middle of the T makes it a sanitee?

* I would never leave pvc unglued, or unstrapped, hence the "for now"

IMG_0068.jpg

Supracar865

Reaction score
Really sorry for the crappy pictures. everthing is 2" except the actual vertical vent piping. how do the "t's" and sanitees look

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On the trap arm, the wye is pointed so that if any water is poured down the vent, it's directed down the line.

And then we reverse that on the vents above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks