Is my granular carbon tank contaminated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Water_Bob

Reaction score
Greetings All,

A brief history into my situation:
Moved to a property a year ago that had the following setup:
Pump --> Pressure Tank --> Filter --> Kinetico dual tank setup --> Leaky Chlorinator --> Granular carbon tank
The chlorinator was leaking so it was removed - everything was fine up until about 4 months ago - the water had a real strong sulfur scent. Thinking the carbon bed needed replacement - I went ahead and changed it out. Everything was fine for about a week - then it started smelling again. Talked to a few neighbors and they said that when the water table gets low (around late spring/summer) the aquifers also get lower and the sulfur smell is much more pronounced. The power of the smell also fluctuates with if its rainy outside (South Florida) Since now I know sulfur is something that needs to be addressed for at least part of the year - I buy a new chlorinator and install it-- http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELL-WATER-...EDER-SYSTEM-/180963716043?hash=item2a22472bcb

On my third jug (one jug fills the system) of Chlorine pellets and notice the water is smelly again - thoroughly cleaned the calcium deposits (I had the system bypassed for a few days and crystals formed) and check the chlorinator - seems ok - water coming directly out of the chlorinator (have a spigot mounted between it and the carbon filter) smelled fine with a slight chlorine smell. however water coming directly out of the spigot after the carbon filter has a sulfur smell.

Is it possible the chlorine wore out the carbon and now bacteria producing sulfur smells reside in the carbon tank?

If so, what would be my options? If I change the carbon bed again (these should last 2-5 years?) then I have to worry about changing it again by the 4th or 5th chlorinator refill? If I bypass the carbon system, the water coming into the house will have a high chlorine content?

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Did you put back catalytic carbon? It is used for hydrogen sulfide . It also needs the chlorinator to work as an oxidizer or it would need some aeration/air injection before the carbon tank.

Get a chlorine test kit to check the water coming out of the carbon tank for chlorine, this when you know its time to replace the media because the media is wearing out to be letting the chlorine through.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks