Is my gas valve on or off in this position?

Users who are viewing this thread

joemann

Reaction score
The gas dryer that was connected to this valve was recently sold and before that the yellow valve was in north and south position. So before disconnecting the end that goes to the dryer I turned the value to the way it is showing right now in the picture attached. Since the flow of the gas comes in and then outlet is going up having the value in this position is in the off state correct? Or should it be in the north and south position? I'm a bit confused here on the actual flow of the gas here since it comes from the wall, but then makes a 90 degrees turn up instead of just going straight forward like it does for water heater. I think if the outlet was just connected straight on then the position that the valve is in right now would be open correct?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 10,542

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT could be either. Which way does the handle turn? Usually CCW is on and CW is off. If the dryer is gone and the gas is not flowing out, it must be off, or if it is 90 degrees from where it was when the dryer was working, that also should mean it is off. But, in any case, unless you are going to reconnect a dryer, the valve or supply pipe should be capped to prevent accidentally turning it back on.

joemann

Reaction score
IT could be either. Which way does the handle turn? Usually CCW is on and CW is off. If the dryer is gone and the gas is not flowing out, it must be off, or if it is 90 degrees from where it was when the dryer was working, that also should mean it is off. But, in any case, unless you are going to reconnect a dryer, the valve or supply pipe should be capped to prevent accidentally turning it back on.

The hand turns counterclockwise...so a 90 degree turn would have the long end in at the 12 o'clock position instead of the 3 o'clock position that it is in right now. What is CCW and CW? Before disconnecting it was 90 degrees from where it was...so at that 12 o'clock position with the long end that has the marking. I was bit confused myself at first since if the outlet was inline from how it is coming out from the wall then it would be in the on position like it is now, but since the outlet comes from the wall and then that t fitting is at 90 degrees I assume the flow is now in that direction so when the valve is in the 12 o'clock position it would parallel with it which would mean on and now since it is perpendicular it is off. Is that correct?

Also if it was on I would have noticed it right away with a strong gas odor or somewhat detect the gas flow coming from the connection if I held up the line close to me correct?

joemann

Reaction score
CCW = counterclockwise
CW = clockwise

So then it is in the off position right now if the valve moves only 90 degrees CCW (which it was before the dryer was disconnected) which puts the lond end at 12 o'clock and 90 degrees CW (3 o'clock position right now) which the valve was moved to after being disconnected.

I'm a bit confused since here it seems to be the opposite of what CCW and CW should be:

http://homerepair.about.com/od/heatingcoolingrepair/ss/gas_valve_onoff.htm

Last edited:

joemann

Reaction score
I would think you would hear and smell it if it were on!

It does need to be capped anyway.

You are talking about capping the other end of the silver supply line that was connected to the old dryer? The new dryer will be delivered tomorrow to be installed. Any problems with not capping it until then?

Bluebinky

Reaction score
You are talking about capping the other end of the silver supply line that was connected to the old dryer? The new dryer will be delivered tomorrow to be installed. Any problems with not capping it until then?

Ah, that is a different story. It only needs to be capped if you are going to stop using it. If the dryer was working and you then turned the valve 90 degrees before unhooking it, it should be off -- unless you have small children...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks