Is my drain/vent plan code compliant?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying again that this forum is awesome – we all sure do appreciate professional plumbers taking the time to help us out. Thank you Terry and everyone else here!

I am now remodeling my mechanical/laundry room and I am trying to accomplish several things with the plumbing. I attached a photo of the room.

Currently in my new home, there is a 2” drain in the basement going under grade to an unknown sized pipe (3” or 4” I hope) with a 1.5” vent to the roof with nothing draining or venting above it. There is a laundry sink with a laundry washer dumping into it along with 2 water softener drain lines (looks like an illegal air gap to me?). Also does the sanitary T look like it’s upside down? I want to tear all this out anyway.

So my goals are to do the following with the 2” drain if it possible with very limited space to work with

Install a separate laundry standpipe behind the washer – I cannot dump into the sink because I want to install front loader machines with a counter on top and a drop in laundry sink

Install a new standpipe behind the softener with appropriate air gap, trap, etc.

I found an image from Terry Love of splitting a drain and I modified it with what I want to do, are my modifications/plan legitimate or code violations? And thank you Terry, I modified your image only to get my plan across. Note the image is for mock up and it should be flipped like a mirror image to fit my photos

I have studied the plumbing code for MN, but it is really complex to me – much harder than the NEC, which was my trade for awhile, so I appreciate the help. I have read that wet venting is not code in some states, it appears to be in MN, and I attached the code reference if anyone can verify that I am reading it correctly because I am not skilled enough to comprehend if what they are saying is acceptable to what I want to do here.

Also do I need to incorporate a clean out somewhere? My issue is that I have no room to place the Wye above the current clean out and still drain the sink, or at least I don’t think I do, so I was going to cut 2” pipe just below the cleanout. I was thinking if it’s ok, to place a cleanout on one of the vertical drains with an access panel above the sink when I finish the wall.

Oh ya, one last minute thing, I just noticed that MN code says that indirect waste piping (803.1) between 5-15' need trapped but not vented - does this mean I do not need to vent my softener standpipe?

Thanks everyone!

View attachment 37227
20161205_215616.jpg

20161205_215628.jpg
MN Wet venting.JPG

20161205_215616.jpg
20161205_215616.jpg
:

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most people would just run the softener drain to the washer standpipe and eliminate everything on the right side.

washer-rough-dual.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
Most people would just run the softener drain to the washer standpipe and eliminate everything on the right side.
Thank you hj - perhaps I am over-complicating things - in this case, would the following setup be compliant? Eliminating the right side and just wet venting the sink over the washer both with sanitary T's, cutting above the existing drain cleanout? I am so confused over the issue of wet venting, many people tell me it's illegal outside of bathrooms, but the MN code does not seem to restrict that if I am reading it correctly, and also venting the washer standpipe. I see many posts online about the washer standpipe has to have a separate vent going up, but I'm not clear on why because the code also says 60" max from the drain/vent to the p-trap is ok? Can i just make it easy, throw a sanitary T in there and between the clean out and sink sanitary T and run a pipe to the new washer standpipe 2 feet away? I also have two conditioners so wondering if the attached photo if code compliant - both drains on the conditioners pump out 7 GMP total plus the washer. THanks

Attachments

• drain softener.JPG
    drain softener.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 425

Reach4

Reaction score
There is a laundry sink with a laundry washer dumping into it along with 2 water softener drain lines (looks like an illegal air gap to me?).
If those are 1/2 inch ID hoses, if you could position the outputs 1 inch minimum above the flood level of the laundry sink, that would be fine. So you could mount a stick/rod that you would tie the hoses to so they were aimed at the sink from above, that would meet the air gap rules.

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
If those are 1/2 inch ID hoses, if you could position the outputs 1 inch minimum above the flood level of the laundry sink, that would be fine. So you could mount a stick/rod that you would tie the hoses to so they were aimed at the sink from above, that would meet the air gap rules.
Thanks for the advice - I should lift them up for the air gap for now, I suppose I have been lazy about doing it because I am going to tear out that sink any day and stick the drains to an air gap on a stand pipe, but I should lift them up until I do that. My goal is concealed plumbing and finished walls, so I am more curious if it is legal to split the laundry standpipe with 3 Wyes as in the above photo or create a separate standpipe. I feel like the multiple standpipes inlets would be better than trying to air gap the two 3/4 lines into a washer standpipe - one drain is from an iron curtain and it discharges like a 3/4 garden hose

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks