Is it truly common to run washer drain pain out the external wall???

Users who are viewing this thread

tbeaulieu

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having a hard time finding anything on plumbing for the "emergency" drain pain under a second floor washer. Seems like my options are:

1. Run it right out the wall. Might let a little draft in, but under/behind the washer shouldn't be too bad.

2. Run it all the way down to the basement and into the sump hole.

3. Tap it into another drain pipe, like from the kitchen/bath. One mfgr says "no trap", but that seems to fly in the face what I "know" as a non plumber.

Thank you.

tbeaulieu

Reaction score
I agree that it will hopefully never be used. It just seems to barbaric to run it out the exterior wall!

I found another discussion here about installing a leak detection device to shut off the water and to simply catch the first bit of water and not have a drain. I'd think that might work some types of leaks like a burst supply inside the machine, but not for leaks that empty what's already in the machine, like maybe on the output side when waste water's being pumped. Hmmm...

Thanks for the help, btw!

tbeaulieu

Reaction score
Ha ha. Don't get your feathers ruffled. I'm just a homeowner. Not a pro. Pretty sure if you showed a picture of a hose hanging out the side of a house to 100 homeowners 100 of them would choke and ask WTF?!

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
My understanding is that a washer overflow pan is considered an emergency drain, so it has a much simpler installation requirement than an actual floor drain (which requires a P-trap, etc.). Mine runs out through the side of the house, and would just drain on the ground if there was a washer overflow.

Bruce

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks